PDA

View Full Version : Federal Paper 12 gauge low PSI loads

Frank Cronin
12-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Anyone loading low PSI for 12 ga. Federal paper shells?

On the Hodgdon loading data site, there seems to be only a few low PSI loads but this is what I would consider using:

Lead Shot 1 1/8 oz.
21 grains International
Rem. 209P
Rem. Fig. 8
7,000 PSI
1145 velocity

I'm thinking of using this for spreader loads dropping 1oz of shot. How's International powder? Just wondering since I never used this powder before.

Robert Rambler
12-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Here's one I like. You can bump the powder charge if you want a little more velocity.:)

Federal paper hull
Win. 209 primer
1 oz magnum shot
windjammer wad
18 gr clays powder
5800 psi, 1180 fps

Paul Harm
12-28-2011, 11:34 AM
I use most of my Federal papers for BP. When useing nitro I use fiber wads because one , I have them and don't have to buy different plastic wads. Also use a roll crimp on all my paper hulls - they look better and the end card can be stamped with the shot size in black [ for BP ] or red [ for nitro ]. Although I do keep a few extra with a star crimp in my pocket for those fellows on the shooting line who run out of ammo - those are BP. Don't get alot of request for a shell anymore. With the nitro I use 16.5grs of 700X and 1oz of shot. Paul

Chuck Bishop
12-28-2011, 02:25 PM
This past spring, a friend was cleaning out his garage and decided to give me his Federal paper hulls, they would have filled a 35gal container. Did I mention that they were free:shock:

Long story short, my basement flooded this September but I felt they would be OK since they were in plastic garbage bags. I just recently looked at them and they were covered with mold/mildew. Stunk to high heaven. Had to put them all out for the trash man:banghead:

Frank Cronin
12-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Hi Paul, I also like the Federal paper hulls for BP. A once fired paper hull case mouths are nice and round and much easier to load the nitro cards and fiber wads than plastic.

This is reason I decided to use Federal paper for spreader loads using a 16 ga Polywad disk. I loaded up the recipe in my first post and shot skeet with them this morning. The gun I used had .040 and .020 thousands restriction. Worked very well.

Paul Harm
12-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Frank, if the mouth gets bad and you're useing fiber wads, you can trim the shell a bit and use less cushion wad and keep on reloading. A friend gave me a heating plug made for paper shells. Put the shell on , mouth down, and give it a twist with a candle pushed against it and it conditions the shell like new. The wax melts right in. Paul