PDA

View Full Version : Extractor Retainer Problems

Jim Ladd
10-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I have a 28ga DHE Winchester Reproduction that has problems with the extractor retainer. I have had it repaired twice, obviously not by the right gunsmith as it is failing again. it appears as though the beveled slot in the barrel tang is opening up and letting the retainer move out. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has experienced problems of this nature and recommendations on who can correct the problem. I love the gun and used to shoot it a lot for both hunting and sporting clays so I need a permanent fix the last repair failed after less than 200 rounds. I am located in Northern Ill and would prefer using a smith in either northern Ill or southern Wisconsin, but am willing to send it anywhere to get it fixed properly. Thanks

Steve Parker
10-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I would recommend contacting Heritage Gunsmith 740-625-6131. I believe they were contracted to handle all the repairs of the guns that came through Jaqua's. They were helpful to me when I had a doubling problem with my 20 gauge reproduction.

Jim Ladd
10-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Thank you for the Quick Response! I spoke with Jim at Heritage and my gun is en-route to them as we speak

Dave Fuller
10-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Jim - Glad you're getting your gun fixed. If you can, please let us know what they find wrong and how it is repaired (assuming of course that it is ultimately repaired). I've never seen this problem on a Parker Repro so it'll be one for my Repro file. Best of luck. - Dave

Jim Ladd
12-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Jim @ Heritage appears to have my problem corrected at least for now. He had not seen my problem before and it appears that the dovetails that holds the extractor retainer on my gun were not cut properly from day one. Jim made a larger head retention screw and soft soldered my retainer in place. He has advised me that this may not hold up for ever and the next step would be to weld and cut new properly sized retainer dovetails. This would also make refinishing my barrels necessary so we are trying step one first.

I have had the gun back for a while now and waited to comment on the repair till I had had the opportunity to shoot the gun some and see how it held up. So far so good I have put approximately 500 rounds though it since the repair work was done and there is no sign of reoccurring problems.

I was extremely satisfied with the Jim and Heritage Gunsmiths.They kept me informed, did a great job and treated me extremely fairly. I would highly recommend them to any one needing service.

Dave Fuller
12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks Jim. This is the kind of information that makes this web site so valuable.

Steve Parker
12-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I am pleased to hear you had nice service and a good result. good luck.

Richard Flanders
12-16-2009, 02:51 PM
If Heritage addresses this issue properly they should be added to our gunsmith list on the home page.