PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas from Alabama

David Scott
12-18-2011, 07:21 AM
I am in the process of buying a Parker 20 repro from Gerald Addison and he introduced me to this site. I am a 66 year old former USN special forces EOD. (Diving Demolition and Bomb Disposal). Did two tours in Vietnam, 68 and 69. Have been a life long quail hunter, birddog owner, and lover of shotguns and wing shooting. I have a Trojan That I had restocked to fit me years ago and is currently being filed and upgraded to a CHE grade. . While in the Navy I bought a Browning superposed and hunted them for years until I picked up an LC Smith 20 trap grade. That was fifteen years ago. I could not pick up the superposed again and have shot double barrels since.
I do a little benchrest shooting with rifles and find I really enjoy shooting the target 22's. Have a couple of USMC target 22's (Remington 40X), a couple of Kimbers, and an Anshultz Match 54.
I currently live with four English Setters, a Goldendoodle, and a wonderful wife.
Thanks for such an informative site. :bigbye:

Mark Ouellette
12-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Welcome aboard David!

First, thank you for your service. I'm a retired Marine a decade and a half younger than you.

That's a nice looking Trojan in the photo. Unlike some I like a old gun restored to new condition. Of course, I start with guns that due to their abuse could be substituted for boat oars. :)

After getting to know those of us inflicted with Parker-itus please consider joining the PGCA. I am a member of SxS collector organizations but hold the PGCA in the highest esteem due to its spirit of helping others. One never finds a newby's question unanswered.

Happy holidays and good shooting to you!
Mark

Dave Suponski
12-18-2011, 09:16 AM
David, Glad you found us and welcome. Hang around there is much to be learned here. If you feel so inclined after visiting awhile please join us. Its the best $40.00 you will ever spend....:)

I would like to echo Marks comments and thank you for your service to this country....:bowdown:

Dennis V. Nix
12-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the site, David. I am somewhat of a newbie too but love this site and the helpful informative members. Thanks for your service. I did my two tours in Vietnam two years ahead of you with the USMC in a helicopter squadron. Just like me, you can honestly say we were winning when I left.

David Scott
12-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks fellows for the welcome and the acknowledgement of service. My hat is off to you guys for your service. I joined the PGCA, too old to fight with Marines anymore ;^). Hope you all have the best Christmas ever and look forward to learning from you guys. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: david

pic taken in Canada this October. I am the one with the bowed head being thankful for such a great morning hunt.

Dean Romig
12-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Welcome David! I'll echo the thanks the others have given you. You guys who did tours in Viet Nam are the the best. Those were really tough times both over there and here on US soil as well. Thank you for your service and all you endured.

Are those Sandhill Cranes really as good eating as I've heard?

David Scott
12-19-2011, 08:30 AM
The fellow to the left of me in the picture is a great cook. He talked about how good those cranes were to eat before the hunt. We killed 5 that morning and cooked some of them that evening. Out of this world. Hope I get to go after them again next year.
Coming back to College after five years in the Navy in 1971 was an experience. I was greeted with contempt and was an angry young man. I never even got thanks from my family. I had a co-major in US Foreign Policy in the 20th century. I so wanted to know how well meaning men could get us into such a war. I knew within two weeks over there the South Vietnamese could care less what Governmental system they had, they just wanted to survive. I also saw that the war was not winnable the way we were fighting it. I could tell some stories how we were bridled at the last minute by Nixon on operations already underway. Being in a political science major at that time put me in the middle of the protesters. It was like I started the war and was responsible for it continuing. The professors were no different. It was a maturing experience.
Sad thing is we continue to make the same mistakes in the two wars we are fighting now. I have talked to special forces operatives coming back and the rules of engagement are absurd, and the way the war is being fought is absurd. We would have far fewer wars if the ones who sent us were put on the front lines first.
The best and most accurate book ever written on the mistakes of Vietnam was written by Neal Sheehan, "A Bright Shining Lie". I learned more reading that book on Vietnam than I learned from two years of my major at Florida State.
For those who have never been to war, the best two books I ever read that depict the true horror, and not the false glamor seen in movies: "All Quiet on the Western Front", written by a German and bone chilling on how similar the experience and training is on both sides. And "With the Old Breed" Elderedge Sledge. Every Marine that still has breath should read that book. It should be required in boot camp.
I left Vietnam with an incredible respect for the American Fighting Man. Unbelievable what man can endure. Unbelievable what politicians can get us into. God help us all.
Sorry to run on, it is still a sensitive spot ;^). Hug a Veteran this Christmas. david

Gary Carmichael Sr
12-21-2011, 08:08 PM
David , back at you with the xmas greetings Like the song says Merry Xmas from Dixie, ain't nothing like it.

Bill Murphy
12-22-2011, 12:56 PM
David, I agree that BSL was a great book. Neil Sheehan is a fellow gun club member and shooting friend whom I have known since way before BSL and the Pentagon Papers. Unfortunately, he is a Model 21 and Purdey guy, does not shoot or own Parkers. I am USA from 67 to 69, did not experience bad behavior from the public when I went back to school and work. OK, down to the important things-who is filing up your Trojan. I am in the middle of a "filing up" project and wonder how others handle it.

Dennis V. Nix
12-22-2011, 01:19 PM
David, for better or worse I was an angry young man at having done my tours in Vietnam and receiving no thanks at all even for my service. Now that I am 65 years old I am still angry. At one point the good people of the USA decided to honor us Vietnam Vets by having a celebration about 10 years after the war. For me it was too little and far too late. I must say though that I still believe we could have won that war and we should have been there according to my understanding of SEATO. When my helicopter would come under fire The crew chief and door gunner (me) would have to ask permission from the pilot to return fire. Fortunately every pilot I flew with told us before lifting off that we had permission to return fire and not to waste valuable time asking permission. My understanding is our troops are still under the same stupid rules of fire. I wonder how many of our servicemen and women were killed while being politically correct. War is a bitch, bloody and brutal to the max but sometimes necessary to protect what is sacred to our country. But when war is necessary it should be fought as quickly and as brutal as possible to win in the shortest amount of time necessary IMHO. On that final note from me, let me wish each and every member and their family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Dennis

Bruce Day
12-22-2011, 02:18 PM
The pilot in command is responsible for the aircraft and the actions of the crew, so of course his permission must be given before engaging. And most give their crew standard conditions where his verbal permission is not necessary.

As for me personally, I could not have cared less whether I got praise from civilians. When the war ended, we just uploaded the nukes again and went back on alert. And didn't have any more Fillipino bands with Yellow River.

David Scott
12-22-2011, 08:08 PM
I like this site already. Gerry Williams sent me a great gun and was understated. Great guy to deal with.
Dennis, when I said an war that we could not win, it was not because of our capabilities, it was because of political restraints and our military strategy. You can not win a war of attrition against the masters of that type of war. Look at Vietnam's History. We could have invaded the North and won the war as we did in Iraq in a matter of months. Ruling them would be a different story.
Bill; even my wife seemed to be embarrassed by my service. After five years I was so much behind my peers in education and career. I remember receiving a letter from her after a bad day in country and she was lamenting the death of her cat. I thought how my buddies were dying over here and people back home are worried about cats. Our marriage did not survive. Years later I know it was not her fault not to know. No one can know unless they have been there. Thankful that most have not been there.
Bruce I must agree about the praise from civilians. No real frame of reference with them. And must say I added to their anger. Loved to stir them up. Thankful to God I did not lose it and go to jail for manslaughter :^). No more anger now for me, Lord took care of that. Hope you guys have the best Christmas ever. yobuddy

Dennis V. Nix
12-23-2011, 09:05 AM
David, I don't recall saying we could not have won due to our capabilities. We did have and still do have the greatest military in the world. Of course we were capable of winning. The problem then as now is that our wars are fought in Congress rather than on the real battlefield. Also if we had been blessed with an American public like we had in WWll or Korea who supported the war and supported winning it could have been won and done in short order. Have a great Christmas. Dennis

ken wight
01-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Hello David, Where did you hunt in Canada?

David Scott
01-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Just west of regina. david

ken wight
01-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I live in Winnipeg and the terrain looked like it cpould have been here in Manitoba, looks like you hade a great hunt.