PDA

View Full Version : 8 ga trap

charlie cleveland
12-14-2011, 11:33 PM
just bought a old 8 ga trap load by umc its a paper hull its loaded but i think it was probably hand loaded as the roll crimp does not look factory...some bodys had it on a display board and drilled couple holes in it...maybe i can get a picture of it and post it... i wonder if any one ever shot trap with a 8 ga....reckon the name of trap on the brass end was a sales gimmick just wondering.... charlie

Mark Landskov
12-15-2011, 12:50 PM
The 'Trap' empty shell is in my 1896 UMC catalog, but not in the 1910 UMC catalog. The "Trap shell is equal to the best imported, with no. 8 primer, battery cup, metal outside reinforce, the head of the shell being independent of the reinforce, thereby doubly strengthening it for heavy charges." It is listed in 8, 10 and 12 gauges in varying lengths. I do not see any factory loadings with that hull. Old handloads can be identified by the topwad printing, or lack thereof. Often, the topwad was inscribed with a pen as to the charge and, sometimes, the date, depending on how thorough the loader was. Topwads could also be purchased pre-printed with a number to denote the shot size. Factory topwads usually have nice machine printing of high quality. The top edge of the roll crimp is normally rounded. Many bench closers offered the square or round crimp. All of my factory loads have nicely done, rounded roll crimps.

Bill Murphy
12-15-2011, 12:54 PM
That must be one rare shell. I have not seen an example.

Mark Landskov
12-15-2011, 12:57 PM
The 'Trap' hull is listed in my 1896 UMC catalog, but not in the 1910 UMC catalog. I would assume that it was dropped from the line sometime between 1896 and 1910. I have a real nice NPE 8 gauge 'Trap' hull. I do not have a lot of vintage handloads. Sometimes I buy them just to have the hull. I do not mind that when the hull was originally sold as an empty for handloading anyway.

charlie cleveland
12-15-2011, 03:22 PM
the auction house i got this from had several odd names for the 4 ga and 8 ga...2 of the other 8 ga loads were 8 ga magic and 8 ga expert these were all umc shells i sure wanted those other loads maybe next time...thanks for the info on the trap shells i forgot to mention this shell was a pretty green color and looked close to elet type color and a glossy finish like lacour... i dont know how rare it is bill but its my first trap 8 ga to own ive seen some others on auction sites but not many....charlie

CraigThompson
01-14-2012, 06:52 PM
FWIW , I've personally shot trap , skeet , Sporting Clays and Jap Trap with a 10 gauge . And IF I had a nice old Parker 8 gauge hammerless I am quite certain if it were still shootable and I could come up with a safe smokeless load I'd shoot trap , skeet and Jap Trap with an 8 gauge !

Chuck Bishop
01-14-2012, 07:37 PM
OK, I've only been shooting trap for 50+ years and have to admit I've never heard of "Jap Trap." What is it?

CraigThompson
01-14-2012, 07:42 PM
OK, I've only been shooting trap for 50+ years and have to admit I've never heard of "Jap Trap." What is it?

If your club has dual fields meaning both trap and skeet on the same field you just shoot the trap machine from the skeet stations .

However the wrinkle is you cannot leave and go to the next station until you break a bird . SO in reality you could use your 25 shells on one station or you could go 25 stations if you don't miss !

CraigThompson
01-14-2012, 07:44 PM
I might add on our number 1 field we added a wobble motor to the trap machine so not only does it oscillate left and right but the machine can also be made to change in a vertical direction as well !

That only enhances the game !

The best I've ever done at plain Jap Trap or Wobble Jap Trap is 19 stations . But I gotta say after shooting registered skeet and trap for many many years this is kinda a breath of fresh air !

Chuck Bishop
01-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks Craig

I guess it goes by different names in different areas of the country. The N.E. American SxS classic at Hausmann's Hidden Hollow in N.E. Pa calls it "Mad Max" as I recall.

CraigThompson
01-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks Craig

I guess it goes by different names in different areas of the country. The N.E. American SxS classic at Hausmann's Hidden Hollow in N.E. Pa calls it "Mad Max" as I recall.

You and I may have shot at some of the same clubs over the years !

I shot as a guest at a couple in Buck's county as well as at the Factoryville Sportsman's Club as a member a few times !

Sorry to say I never shot at any clubs around Harrisburg but I did shoot at the old National Capitol Gun Club in Damascus Maryland a few times . But at the National Capitol it was usually the North South Skeet Shoot .

Chuck Bishop
01-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Craig,

I grew up on the Bucks/Montgomeyr county border, about 30 miles north of Philly. About the nicest club in Bucks Co is the Bucks Co Fish and Game Assn. There are a ton of trap clubs in that area as there are in the Harrisburg Area.

Perhaps you can join us at the Central Pa SxS shoot in Harrisburg on April 21st. Here is the link,http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5779, make sure you scroll down to the end to see the correct date of the shoot. Lots of guys come up from Va.

CraigThompson
01-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Craig,

I grew up on the Bucks/Montgomeyr county border, about 30 miles north of Philly. About the nicest club in Bucks Co is the Bucks Co Fish and Game Assn. There are a ton of trap clubs in that area as there are in the Harrisburg Area.

Perhaps you can join us at the Central Pa SxS shoot in Harrisburg on April 21st. Here is the link,http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5779, make sure you scroll down to the end to see the correct date of the shoot. Lots of guys come up from Va.

I may have shot at the Bucks County Fish and Game . I have a friend that used to live in Doylestown and I went there with him a time or two on friday evenings in the summer for his trap league and they'd let me shoot just for fun !

My friends last name is Ott , his father and brother did a bit of gunsmithing under the name "Bridgepoint Artisan's" . I believe stock work was their strongpoint .

Destry L. Hoffard
01-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Charlie,

I've got one of these too, in an NPE and a hand load I believe. I bought the hand load because the guy claimed it was a factory shell. Yeah, it's not.....

DLH