PDA

View Full Version : WW Greener possible purchase

Mike Jones
12-10-2011, 01:02 AM
I am looking at a WW Greener FH 25 boxlock ejector with 30" barrels, wood in good shape, and 30 barrels with good bluing and no rust. A luggage case in included. Are these good shotguns? What are their approx. worth?

John Dallas
12-10-2011, 08:04 AM
You might try posting you question on the Double Gun forum. Lots of folks there are interested in and expert on British guns.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums

Rich Anderson
12-11-2011, 12:03 PM
WW Greener is a quality gun just as are Parkers,LC Smith, Winchester etc. The value depends on grade, guage and condition. Greener made both high and entry grade guns. I would look on the internet sites and try to find the gun your considering then compare condition and price.

charlie cleveland
12-11-2011, 07:58 PM
good advice.... the greener is a good gun....charlie

Mike Jones
12-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Will its handle modern target/quail loads like Winchester or Federal? It has 3" chambers.

Mark Ouellette
12-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Mike,

I do not mean to be rude but you will more likely obtain the information you desire by following Big D's advice.

The http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums is a wealth of information.

I own a couple British guns and would go to the above listed site rather than here to learn about them.

Good luck in your search!

Mark

Mike Jones
12-12-2011, 05:31 PM
I posted there the same day as here. I try to cast as wide of an information net as possible :-)

Rich Anderson
12-12-2011, 07:46 PM
If it has 3"chambers it's probably fluid steel barrels. I would still measure the wall thickness to be sure it hasn't been "cleaned" up. You might be able to get a factory letter stateing when it was made and what the demensions were.

Steve McCarty
12-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Don't you remember the John Wayne western wherein he opens a trunk and exclaims, "Oh you remembered to bring my Greeners!"

If the Greener was good enough for the Duke it has to be a good gun.

George Lander
01-01-2012, 10:00 PM
William Wellington Greener was the author of "THE GUN" and a HUGE self promoter. His company made a wide variety of gun grades from the very plain "farmers or game keepers" all the way to very highly embellished "exhibition" grade. All are of good quality in both finish and workmanship. Legend has is that Greener Trademark, the elephant, originated when a circus pachaderm got loose in the streets of London and Greener was sent to dispatch it. Many of his guns made their way to this sine of the pond.

Best Regards, George

Mike Jones
01-08-2012, 12:57 PM
I am specifically looking for a facile princeps gun of the FH series. FH25 or higher.