PDA

View Full Version : Replacement hammer screws

Jeff Mayhew
12-09-2011, 03:11 PM
I just installed a set of replacement screws from Tom Carter on the old "pheasant gun;" the old ones were buggered and one was an improper replacement.

Tom's screws are great! I ordered the "generic" ones (standard threads, no timing) and they fit the 1882 toplever gun without problems. I had tried interchanging with my older Parker "coach gun" screws, and the thread pitch is slightly off. Tom can tune the tightness, and time them, for any need.

Now I just need to figure out how to "patinate" the shiny new screws to match the gun.

Thanks Tom!

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/spikeismyname/hammer_screw.jpg

Angel Cruz
12-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Jeff, I have the same problem. Shinny screws. I guess we gonna have to give it some time.

tom leshinsky
12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Cold blue or if you want a more permanent and correct patina use rust blue.

Frank Cronin
12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZviaQkPQjw

Worth a try....

tom leshinsky
12-19-2011, 03:08 PM
stub twist, could you repost that u-tube answer it is no longer avalible.

Jeff Mayhew
12-19-2011, 03:31 PM
There's a bunch on Youtube; use their search feature with keywords "Forced Patina" or "Forced Patina Steel."

Many involve the use of a secret ingredient.... mustard. My first experiment will involve cold blue and gentle rubbing; if this fails I'll break out the condiments!

Frank Cronin
12-19-2011, 04:56 PM
The link I posted is no longer active. It was working before and hopefully others were able to see it before it went away.

This was not my You Tube account but belonged to someone else. I was just doing a quick search to help the guys get a patina for those new looking hammer screws. I was also curious myself in case I may need to do the same thing if I ever needed to replace screws. I think the guy on that video used white vinegar?? Wondering --Did anyone try it??

If you do a Google search on "Forced patina on steel", you should get some hits. My understanding the natural acidic juices in some foods help getting the patina you are looking for. Mustard I recall was one and using a plain white potato was another. Stuff the metal piece you want to force patina to and leave it for a few days.

I heard of some artists who work with shiny copper to create sculptures who want it to have the aged patina look. Would you believe that urine is the best thing for this. It is acidic, the cost is low, but I don't recommend anyone pee'ing on their Parker....

Dave Purnell
12-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Actually, Frank, I knew a high end millwork and antique furniture finisher in South Carolina who used the last method mentioned whenever he encountered new looking hardware on a cabinet. He was kind of a crude fellow. He had to remove the hardware to refinish the wood anyway, so he would toss the hardware in a bucket and sit it out in the back yard in the sun. At break time he'd step out and whiz in the bucket. When the finishing job was complete, he'd dump out the bucket, hit the contents with the garden hose, and re-install on the cabinet for a beautiful finished project with seemingly natural old patina. Hey, at least he washed it off first.

Dave

Tom Carter
12-19-2011, 06:19 PM
If anyone wants a patina on your new hammer screws you'll have to take care of it yourselves. Merry Christmas, Tom

Jeff Mayhew
12-19-2011, 06:35 PM
If anyone wants a patina on your new hammer screws you'll have to take care of it yourselves. Merry Christmas, Tom

Tom, think of it as a market differentiator! And charge a premium...

As a child I remember watching workmen repair a section of copper roofing on an old building. The "foreman" of the crew (or the boss) casually commented to me that the workers hurry along the process of turning all that shiny copper to a nice aged green verdigris with the help of their lunchtime beer... applied later in the afternoon. Of course, he used more direct language and I was quite entertained (at age 10).