PDA

View Full Version : Interesting reloading tool on Ebay

Jeff Mayhew
12-08-2011, 04:10 PM
See #230713473363. Is this for "crimping" the lip of a brass shotshell slightly, to hold in the top card? If so, I wonder how many times you could redo this on your average shell casing.

Mark Landskov
12-08-2011, 04:37 PM
That tool is designed to crimp paper hulls with a roll crimp, without rolling! If I had a scanner, I could post a diagram from a catalog.

Mark Landskov
12-08-2011, 04:46 PM
This is from the 1882 catalog. It does not show the crimping action, but shows the 'ramming/seating' part of the process.

John Farrell
12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
From the size of the thumb in the photos, it looks like a 10 gauge to me. JF

Jeff Mayhew
12-09-2011, 04:42 PM
On gauge, it seems likely that's what the "-10" means in the markings on the tool.

Still having a bit of trouble visualizing what this thing does. From the pictures Mark posted (thanks!) it functions like a crimping die for conventional metallic cartridges, by reducing the diameter at the open end with a "shoulder." But note that the shell in the cross-section diagram has no cushion wad, which leaves the load column short and a good length of empty hull at the mouth for the crimp. And the tool in the illustration has no slots like the one on Ebay.

It seems like the slots are there to provide a "ripple" to relieve the strain on the crimp--meaning, it doesn't "roll crimp," it "pleats" the end of the hull like a modern metallic blank or grenade-launching cartridge.

Is there a good reference book that covers all this stuff? I'm very familiar with modern cartridge reloading (have loaded both BP and smokeless for many years in many different configurations), but there are some pretty strange-looking gizmos associated with loading old shotshells. Pulled out my copy of Greener's "The Gun and its Development" and found a picture of what I thought this thing was doing (see shell casing in the picture, below). The tool in this illustration is beefier, for crunching brass rather than paper.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/spikeismyname/crimper.jpg

Mark Landskov
12-09-2011, 05:09 PM
I have the 1882 and 1901 BGI catalogs. Occasionally, the illustrations are not quite the same as the product in hand. This could be due to an improvement. When BGI improved something, they went up to the next number, or added a letter to denote things like wood handle types or brass/plated components. If you look at my photos, you can see the seperate base wad in the shell. If you go up from the base wad, along the sides, you can see the paper hull. The paper hull should not be that long! I see what you mean about the slots. Maybe they allow a tool to reach in to help start a pleated crimp. Aside from my catalog illustration, the tool on E-Bay is the only one I have seen. The 1912 BGI catalog is available in reprints. When I get it, I will have all the years available (in reprints, that is). I do a lot of speculating and guessing with my collection. So far, all the BGI stuff I have is marked, unless it is the budget priced Eureka line.

Hmmm...after looking at the illustration again, I can see where maybe the body of the hull is attached to the base, on the order of Kynoch's Patent (sort of!)

Mark Landskov
12-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Plus, the wooden handle is attached to the main body with a screw. Double hmmmmm.........

Dave Suponski
12-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Could this tool have been used for the Draper Patent shell with the head that screws on ?

Mark Landskov
12-09-2011, 10:11 PM
In the 1882 catalog, the illustrated tool is labeled 'No. 5 Crimper', whereas the roll crimping devices are all called 'Bench Closers'. In the catalog appendix, the tool is known as 'No. 5 Crimper, or new style closer'.

Jeff Mayhew
12-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Man, this is complicated. I'm gonna stick with my heavy brass shells and an overshot card held in place with Duco Cement. Just received 30 more 10 gauge casings from the brass shell guru, Dave Casey. The dull ones at bottom have already seen service. Many thanks to Dave Casey for offering these superb brass hulls.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/spikeismyname/cases1.jpg