PDA

View Full Version : Roll crimps with a Mec ?

Paul Harm
12-05-2011, 11:37 AM
In 12ga, Mec sells a smooth starting crimp for roll crimping. Has anyone tried one ? I use the BP's one that goes in a drill that works and I would think be better for plastic shells because of the heat factor - but don't know. I was thinking of ordering one of the Mecs to try because it would seem quicker - any help ? Paul

Jack Kuzepski
12-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Is that for roll crimping? I thought it was for paper shells like Federals that already had a crimp memory and didn't need the ridges.

Jack Kuzepski

charlie cleveland
12-05-2011, 09:01 PM
i can not help new to me...charlie

Paul Harm
12-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I believe I read somewhere [ from Mec ] it was for roll crimps. A buddy claims he roll crimped with his Mec just by messing with the crimp stations. I'll talk to him latter today. Paul

Paul Harm
12-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Just called Mec-it is for paper shells, not roll crimping. Paul

mike covington
12-06-2011, 12:18 PM
New member so hi to all. I do roll crimp my 16 loads. I have 16 ga roll crimp tools from Lyman, Precision Reloading, and GAEP (Italian). Also have Lyman tools in 12 and 20 but have not used them yet.

My experience with the 16s is that for non-crimped hulls the Lyman works best.

For 2 3/4" crimped hulls that are trimmed to 2 1/2" or 2 1/2" crimped RSTs the Precision tool works best. The Lyman/GAEP works but the final crimp is squared on the inside and not perfectly round. The Precision tool gives a nice round crimp though.

I would expect 12 loads to be the same.

Mike

Paul Harm
12-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Mike, hi and welcome. Not sure what the Lyman or Precision tools look like. I was looking for something a bit faster and easier than the BP drill bit tool. Talked to my friend - he solidered a spacer on to the punch that goes in the final crimp tool. Said they didn't look perfect, but worked. I have one like his from doing 2" shells - think I'll play around with my 600 jr latter on today. Paul