PDA

View Full Version : 10ga. primed hulls

Michael K. Burnley
12-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Hello, For Y'all that shoot the big guns, Ballistic Technologies has 10ga. Federal 3-1/2" primed hulls on sale. Mike
Also company name should be Ballistic Products.

Paul Harm
12-05-2011, 11:21 AM
I don't like the Federal primers - too hot. I think the Remingtons now come with primers, never use to. Most of Bells loads did not use Federal primers so I didn't like depriming Federal shells and buy the Remingtons. But thanks for the heads up - some may want them. Paul

charlie cleveland
12-05-2011, 09:06 PM
the federal primers are hot but those federal hull arereally good to load they have stiff side walls i like that...the rem..is a good hull too...charlie

Pete Lester
12-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Ironically I picked up 150 of them (new and primed) at the Kittery Trading Post for $15 per 50 tonight and just got home. Somebody had traded them in and 3 bags of 50 were for sale on the bargain table.

There is another retailer, somewhat obscure, that sells them for $23.50 per 100, shipping adds another $9.50. You can also buy once fired federal 10's for $21.50 per 100 plus the shipping too.

I deprime without trouble on a VersaMec press and use the Fed primers in some 12ga loadings and prefer to use Win 209's or Fiocchi 616 (209) in the 10ga. If you use Fiocchi primers they are larger and once you use them in a hull you have to stick with them.

David Holes
12-05-2011, 10:01 PM
I was nervious about the primers also, so I loaded up a couple and test fired them. Could't tell any difference. I left the primers in and will replace them when I reload. Dave

Pete Lester
12-05-2011, 10:06 PM
I was nervious about the primers also, so I loaded up a couple and test fired them. Could't tell any difference. I left the primers in and will replace them when I reload. Dave

David the problem is the Federal 209A is a magnum primer and it can spike pressures over other primers by a couple thousand psi in some cases. If you use them I'd back off your powder charge by 10% from the published recipe your using. Again I have deprimed thousands of hulls with live primers without problem.

When I was a teenager I had a large pistol primer detonate upon seating in a 44 mag case. The pop was startling but nothing happened beyond the noise.

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm

If anyone is interested in the BPI sale on hulls it is here:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Federal-10ga-new-primed-3-1_2-hulls-50_bag/productinfo/0621035/

Paul Harm
12-06-2011, 10:47 AM
The Fiocchi 209's should be the same size as any other primer -if they don't say 209 then they're bigger. I used to think the same thing but have used the Fiocchis without any problem. Also have some article at the club where someone measured a bunch of different primers and they where all about the same - try and find it. Paul

Pete Lester
12-06-2011, 11:53 AM
The Fiocchi 209's should be the same size as any other primer -if they don't say 209 then they're bigger. I used to think the same thing but have used the Fiocchis without any problem. Also have some article at the club where someone measured a bunch of different primers and they where all about the same - try and find it. Paul

This year I was reloading some 12ga Federal GM's for crow hunting. I had loaded them with "FIO 616 (209 type)" primers with Unique. Then I switched to SR4756 to burn up my supply and used Federal 209A's. I was unpleasantly surprised to find primerless shotgun shells, loose primers and powder in my shell bag. The Fed 209A's fell out. Maybe I got an oversized batch of Fios, but I have heard of this happening from others.

Dave Suponski
12-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Yes I have heard of that happening also Pete.

charlie cleveland
12-07-2011, 07:01 AM
this has happened to me to..the primer being loose and falling out....i bought some RIO primers and they arevery hard to seat once you seat them the hole is streched and if you put a winchester 209 primer init will just fall out... i stick to winchesters most of the time only drag out the RIO when needed...charlie