PDA

View Full Version : barrel question

calvin humburg
12-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Said something on another thread got me to thinkin. If you hot blue a damascus barrel can if melt the soder? Fluid steel barrels must be welded. Were any damascus barrels ribs welded? If I have it all wrong please enlighten me. best ch

Dean Romig
12-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Both Damascus as well as fluid steel barrels and ribs were all soldered. Hot blueing can damage the solder on either type of barrels.

calvin humburg
12-04-2011, 06:52 AM
What method did Parker use to blue there barrels rust? And can you tell by the color the method that was used? Well have an opinion that is. Theres a G I like but the barrels are just to black for the frame color anything you can do abought that? The G barrels are rust blued. Thanks for telling me Dean, sometimes my trival questions are not answered<-- can't seem to get that word spelled right this mourning. maybe that is right? best ch

Dean Romig
12-04-2011, 07:23 AM
You spelled it right Calvin.

I wish there was a way that barrels could be rust blued to make them look better but not like they were recently reblued. It can be done by a handful of experts with Damascus barrels but not blued barrels that I know of - maybe Brad will respond to this.

Brad Bachelder
12-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Calvin
Slow Rusting is a progressive application process. Barrels start out grey and become increasingly black with each app. Smiths tend to be on the lighter side of the spectrum, where Parkers are a semi satin jet black.
The type of polishing and number of apps. will controll the end results. So it is possible to avoid freshly refinished apearance.

Brad

calvin humburg
12-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks, that is good to know. ch