PDA

View Full Version : W. & C. Scott & Son Quintuple Bolt 12 guage

Jared Valeski
12-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Here is a pretty cool shotgun I need some help with. I have not been able to find much information on the net about this particular model with the Quintuple bolt system. The gun is completely original and highly finished. Bores and mechanics are excellent. My limited skill with the camera don't do the gun justice. Any information and approx. value estimates would be appreciated. Enjoy.
JJV

charlie cleveland
12-03-2011, 12:26 PM
nice gun..these old guns are well bilt..i have a old 10 by them but does not have the unique triple locking features your gun has...a nice piece of wood the old gent wears also... charlie

Jeff Mayhew
12-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Wow. How much does that thing weigh? Looks like a bank vault with barrels.

Beautiful engraving!

Jared Valeski
12-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Weight is less than you would guess at just under 8 pounds. It does lock up like a vault. It is certainly a little over engineered with all of the moving parts when the lever is opened but the balance is really nice. Has anyone seen this model before? I am trying to find out how many and when it was made? I have struck out so far in my research...

Bob Brown
12-03-2011, 05:33 PM
If I recall correctly there was a Double Gun Journal article written on that model, but I don't recall the issue. I'll take a look in my back issues and see if I can find it.

Brian Dudley
12-12-2011, 12:49 PM
That is one interesting creation on the part of W&C Scott. Thanks for sharing!

Don Kaas
12-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Likely built just before Scott and Purdey did their patent cross licensing agreement on the Scott spindle and the Purdey underbolt(s)thus creating the modern SxS gun as we know it.

Jared Valeski
12-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Anyone care to take a shot at approx. production numbers and its value?
JJV

John Campbell
12-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Jared:
I have NEVER seen a Scott like that before. And I've seen a LOT of Scotts, and worked on a lot of Scotts. There is nothing in the Scott history that shows or mentions anything like it. I'd wager it was an experimental design, or one requested by a specific and well-heeled client. The forend release is the type used only on guns of Premier Grade and above... although the engraving doesn't quite reach that level. The full-length trigger guard tang is typical of double rifle specification. Apparently someone wanted a VERY strong gun.

I'd say you have a VERY rare Scott indeed. And if I were you, I'd treat the old girl very gently and NEVER sell it. Collector value? That's anyone's guess. At least $7,000 I'd guesstimate.

Best, Kensal

Brian Dudley
12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
The forend metal does appear to be more profusely engraved than the rest of the gun. Does it match by way of S/N?

Jared Valeski
12-13-2011, 06:31 AM
There are no numbers anywhere on the forend. The fit of the iron to the wood and the matching wood in both grain and aged color to the stock lead me to believe it is the original.

Joe Wood
01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
While the engraving is somewhat odd I have no difficulty believing all is original and as it left the factory. First, I do not find the engraving anywhere on the gun to be of very high quality. Second, and the clincher for me, is the border engraving on the Locks, barrels, action, and around the toplever screw is identical. I would have expected more engraving on the locks but wonder if this gun wasn't a prototype or some other "one off" edition. It just seems "right". I do think the price estimates are way on the high side. If there was an active collector market for Scotts then variations might warrant significantly higher prices but there is not such a group. It is a nice early Scott that probably has a lot of shooting life left in it.

Ross Berck
01-25-2012, 05:05 PM
They are neat and kind of rare, I have one and there was one in DGJ(DGJ Autumn 2003 vol 14,issue 3, pages 23,24,25, serial 6531, it has barrel "wings" same shape forend release as yours(not quite as much engraving), just scroll engraving on plates, very nice gun.) Here is mine...
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-N1LStBFgEE4/TyBscv3vNhI/AAAAAAAAAYs/Ht_1n6vWsR8/s720/DSC_0264.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-QN2fRSjzcyo/TyBwoXluCYI/AAAAAAAAAa8/ZaUjZn3UqPY/s720/DSC_0270.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rxCRm2wRVKg/TyBws0SWf7I/AAAAAAAAAaw/ESBCKjyoCSI/s720/DSC_0266.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nnoFHQDcivY/TyBwqdaEbTI/AAAAAAAAAag/_nEJsfqeFtY/s720/DSC_0268.JPG

Dave Suponski
01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Great gun Ross. Those pups on the locks look pretty playfull....:)