PDA

View Full Version : Top Lever Position.....

Mark Landskov
12-01-2011, 05:53 PM
......revisited! After disassembling my 1886 toplever hammer gun and carefully studying the various components, I have come to the conclusion that this particular design will not allow the lever to veer to the left of center as the system wears. The toplever bearing to the left of center, of course, is not a bad thing. It can be an indicator of extensive use, and, as the moving parts wear, will help to maintain a tight lock-up. Even when our beloved Parkers were new, how far to the right were the toplevers? The toplevers are scalloped to match the receiver and rib. I have never seen a NIB (or close to NIB) Parker, so I am posing this question out of mild curiosity: "Were the toplevers centered when the guns were new?" As always, Cheers!

Dean Romig
12-01-2011, 08:43 PM
No, the levers were not 'centered' when the gun was manufactured but were offset by about 3 degrees or so to the right, judging by the number of high original condition Parkers I've examined with levers at about that angle.

Mark Landskov
12-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks, Dean. I know that a lot of folks think this subject is a 'dead horse', so I thought I would reopen the wound with a little eloquence! My 1929 Trojan 20 gauge toplever sits, just a skosh, to the right of center. I had a couple of well used L.C. Smiths that had levers pointing pert near to 7 o'clock, but still locked up tight. My Baker toplever is centered, but I think it has reached the end of its rope. The action locks up tight, but the barrel lug would require the addition of metal to restore the original tightness.