PDA

View Full Version : The proper lubrication for your new Parker shotgun

Dave Suponski
11-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Per Parker Bros. hang tags of different eras.On left Signet oil and on right 3 in 1oil from the turn of the century.

Jeff Mayhew
12-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Hard to read the labels, but wouldn't sperm whale oil have been the preferred lubricant for a fine shotgun back in the "old days?"

Dave Suponski
12-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Jeff,I have collected this stuff over the years. In different eras Parker Bros. hang tags were stamped use: 3 in 1 oil or Signet Oil. Signet oil was made in Gloucester Mass. A deep sea fishing port here on the East Coast so it could very well be a type of fish oil. The Signet Co. also manufactured glue.

Jeff Kuss
12-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I think you can read this one

Jack Cronkhite
12-04-2011, 12:35 PM
So, what volume of oil did they supply for ten cents?

Jeff Kuss
12-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Jack,
Neither the bottle or the box shows a volume measurement of the oil.
Jeff

Dave Suponski
12-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Box? What box? Jeff...your killin me....:)

Jeff Kuss
12-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Ok Dave,
Here is the picture of the box. It is not in great shape. Also a sample bottle of 3 in 1 oil.:whistle:

Dave Suponski
12-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Jeff, That box is very cool. I have a sample bottle of 3 in 1 Cut little things aren't they....:)

Bill Murphy
12-05-2011, 09:12 PM
The little ten cent Signet bottles look like they hold about two ounces. They are embossed in the glass so you can identify them without the label. I have a 12 ounce Signet bottle graduated in ounces, but I think it is probably a Signet Ink bottle. Signet ink bottles and cans are much easier to find than the oil bottles.

David Hamilton
01-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Bill, Is there any thing related to Parkers you don't know?????? David

David Hamilton
01-17-2012, 09:19 PM
I have no idea of the composition of Three -in-One oil in those old days but in the present day clock trade it is considered to be too short lived to be of any use. By short lived I mean that it dried out quickly. Whale based oils were the best! Their quality was based on the way they were prepared. Porpoise Head oil was the finest. Used in all fine lathes such as Watchmakers I have some left. David

Destry L. Hoffard
01-26-2012, 07:10 PM
I've got a bottle of whale oil I bought at a gun show in Northern Illinois about 10 years ago. If memory serves, it was out of a vintage barrel that had been found in Alaska with the original paperwork making it legal. The guy actually included a photocopy of the paperwork with each bottle. I've used a bit of it on occasion, just for the sake of nostalgia.

It's got a different odor than regular gun oil. Ever wonder what that strange smell a lot of the old trunk style gun cases seem to have is? You've got one guess......

Destry

jimcaron
05-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Well, for what it is worth, Whale oil was one of the primary ingredients in the cleaning agents the military used. It was also the base for the first automatic transmission lubricants. the stuff was pretty amazing.

jimcaron
05-08-2012, 05:30 PM
I have no idea of the composition of Three -in-One oil in those old days but in the present day clock trade it is considered to be too short lived to be of any use. By short lived I mean that it dried out quickly. Whale based oils were the best! Their quality was based on the way they were prepared. Porpoise Head oil was the finest. Used in all fine lathes such as Watchmakers I have some left. David

The main reason for this was that back in the 19th century, the refining methods used to make lubricants were not precise enough to extract the
right sized molecules that were ideal for lubrication. So what you had was a mixture of the very short chain molecules (the volatile compounds like naptha that evaporated) and the extra long chain molecules (the ones that turned to sludge) left. So after the volatile compounds evaporated, you were left with an unholy goo that dried out and crystalized

This is why synthetic lubricants don't burn off as easy. all of the molecules are the same size so they don't turn to sludge or burn off as easily.

Jack Cronkhite
05-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Jim, I'm not a chemist and have wondered about synthetics and how they are manufactured. If truly synthetic, it seems to me the equivalent of oil can be created somehow. If so, shouldn't that impact "dependence on foreign oil" Just wondering and suppose slightly hijacking the discussion.

jimcaron
05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Jim, I'm not a chemist and have wondered about synthetics and how they are manufactured. If truly synthetic, it seems to me the equivalent of oil can be created somehow. If so, shouldn't that impact "dependence on foreign oil" Just wondering and suppose slightly hijacking the discussion.

Hi Jack,

I did study Chemistry in school (which probably explains alot) but anyways During the latter part of WW II the Germans has started up several synthetic fuel depots, so it is possible to make synthetic gasoline and diesel. the only problem is cost. Think 3-4x times the cost of refined petroleum based fuels.

Richard Flanders
06-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Synthetic motor oil is made from the same base stock as all other motor oils. They just manipulate it somehow to make the hydrocarbon chains longer and evenly saturated with hydrogen. Oil degrades by 'shearing' which is knocking the hydrogens off and by shortening the chains, whereupon it loses lubricity. Synthetic oils do not have any higher a lubricity rating then normal oils, they just keep their original rating for longer because of the longer chains so will take abuse for longer before degrading. The last gasp in refining petroleum, after everything of real use is taken off, is mineral oil. It consists of alkanes and paraffins. And I'm pretty sure that's what Ballistol is based on.