PDA

View Full Version : Salesman's Book

Bruce Day
11-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Rem-Parker

Bill Murphy
11-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Do we know anything about Remington salesman Leo T. Murphy?

Gary Carmichael Sr
11-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Bruce what is the number of your salesmans catalouge should be in or in the back page

Bruce Day
11-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Gary, this is CH's catalog. Maybe ask him? The closest I have is the Baer repro of the 1897 NY Salesroom book.

Bill Murphy
11-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Gary, my portfolio was issued to H.J. Strugnell. The office address is the Empire State Building. I think Dick Baldwin told me his first name was Harry. The fortfolio is number 108. If you have a portfolio, would you share the name of the salesman and portfolio number? Thanks. Bill Murphy

Bill Murphy
11-27-2011, 03:25 PM
At different times, Harry J. Strugnell was "general sales manager" and "western representative" for Remington. He had offices in San Francisco in the war years. If we knew when his salesman's portfolio was issued, we could pin down when he was situated in NYC. Maybe Ken Waite or Art Wheaton know who these people are.

Bill Murphy
12-11-2011, 07:35 PM
I guess I killed another thread. And these guys seemed to be so interested.

Jeff Kuss
12-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Bill,
Here is the info you wanted on CH's portfolio

Gary Carmichael Sr
12-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Bill, My portfolio number is 94 it is locked in the safe and to be honest with you have never looked for a name, sorry so long getting back to you but was supposed to leave for fla last week but was waylaid. I had put everything up for the winter so to speak, when I return I will inspect it closer, I do know mine does not have the cover that came with them but other than that it is complete and in excellent shape. Gary

Bill Murphy
12-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Jeff, that is the same card that is bound with my portfolio. My research material does not include the Leo Murphy name. Of course, Remington had dozens of reps nationwide and some hardly shot a shotgun so we don't hear much about them. Gary, I know you have that travelling sickness so we'll wait until you get home to check your book. My portfolio is without cover also. I watched Pat McKune's portfolio with cover go unsold for years on his website at a fair price. I should have bought it to get the cover, but I guess it is in safe hands. When he first showed up with it back in the nineties, I made him an offer, which he refused. It probably took him ten years to sell it.

Gary Carmichael Sr
12-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Bill, I have the same card in mine that you do also, and yes a cover would be nice had thought about making one, but it does not go anywhere so no need to protect it. I only know of one copy of the 1894? catalouge, I think that date might be wrong, have a Baer copy of it. Regards Gary

Gary Carmichael Sr
12-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Bill, Also Julia of RIA sold one without the cover and the pages were held together with string for 5000 I guess it was complete this was several years ago. I was fortunate to get mine with some other Parker paper.

Tom Wooden
12-17-2011, 08:00 PM
I was very fortunate to be able to aquire a Parker Salesman's Sample Catalog a few years ago that was originally owned by Clyde Mitchell (former Remington-Parker Salesman and District Manager) who in turn passed it onto his son Jack Mitchell (former Director of Advertising). The catalog has the leather cover and a very interesting letter that was written to all the salesmen when the catalog was distributed. The letter was dated May 29, 1936 from C.B. Wells - Assistant Director of Sales.

Gary Carmichael Sr
12-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Tom, would like to see that letter can you post it here, and what is your portfolio number. Thanks Gary