PDA

View Full Version : 1900 20Ga GH restoration

Merv Boyd
11-24-2011, 06:54 PM
i purchased this Parker with the intent of restoring it. The pictures show the before and after. Duncans Gun Works of San Marcos, CA refinished the wood/checkering, action metal polishing and bluing. Dale Edmonds refinished the damascus barrels and added the ivory bead. Turnbull Restoration did the case hardening.

Now I just need to find the time to shoot her!

Will post more pic's later. photo files are too large!

Merv Boyd
11-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Sorry,
Pictures did not upload.

Merv Boyd
12-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Sorry,
Pictures did not upload.

Will try and post more pictures later.

Rich Anderson
12-01-2011, 11:18 AM
You need to shrink the file to 60%

Merv Boyd
12-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi,
Thank you for the suggestion. I am working on having the pictures reduced as I shot them in high resolution.

I will try to upload the pictures this weekend.

The attached link shows the original condition of the shotgun.

http://www.sitemason.com/page/hsMgPC

Larry Frey
12-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Mervyn,
That is an absolutly beautiful small bore Parker. That being said I bet I'm not alone in thinking that if I owned that gun I wouldn't do anything to it but shoot the heck out of it. I'm sure the craftsmen you mentioned did a great job and I look forward to seeing the after photo's.

scott kittredge
12-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Mervyn,
That is an absolutly beautiful small bore Parker. That being said I bet I'm not alone in thinking that if I owned that gun I wouldn't do anything to it but shoot the heck out of it. I'm sure the craftsmen you mentioned did a great job and I look forward to seeing the after photo's.

i agree with Larry, very nice ! yes ,just shoot the heck out of it :shock: scott

Eric Eis
12-02-2011, 02:42 PM
I agree with everyone, what part do you want to restore, it's a great looking Parker.

Richard Flanders
12-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Wow. Agreed also. Other than dismantling and cleaning, I wouldn't touch it. Not many are in that shape. Doesn't appear to have been used much.

Dave Suponski
12-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I agree with the rest of the boy's. Leave it alone and warm it up as often as you can....:)

Merv Boyd
12-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Hi,
Thanks for all the comments about the Parker. Hope you all feel the same way when you see the restoration. The original pictures are a little deceiving. The head of the stock was saturated with oil. The stock was dished out on one side near the butt plate. The action metal work looked like it was cleaned with a scaring pad. When Dale inspected the barrels he thought that the outside of the barrels including the rib may have been cleaned with naval jelly. The machining on the top rib appeared to be etched and not crisp.

I love the end result and think that Bud, Dale, and Turnbull Restoration did a fantastic job.

BTW, I have the PGCA letter.It shows that the shotgun was sent back to Parker for restocking in 1902. I was surprised to see how much figure was present after it was refinished.

Merv Boyd
12-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Hi,
More pictures.

Merv Boyd
12-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Last pictures. That's it for now.

Hope I did her justice!

Dean Romig
12-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Very, very nice! You did her justice for certain.

charlie cleveland
12-03-2011, 09:53 AM
thats a work of art...those boys know how to make a gun look like new...but my hats off to you for making the little gun back to its former glory.... charlie

Rich Anderson
12-03-2011, 09:54 PM
You did her proud now go shoot and enjoy her. It can be surprising the wood Parker put into some of the lower grades. I had the stock refinished on a GHE 20 damascuss from about the same time period as yours and was amazed at what was under 100+ years of dirt and grime.

Merv Boyd
12-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Thank you all for the positive comments.

Mark Landskov
12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Very nice, and Damascus, to boot! Enjoy it, she's a beauty.

Jeff Bonadurer
12-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Mervyn,
I was in agreement with all others, in regards to the restoration until I saw the photos of the finished gun. Very nice! I'm in a similar situation. I have a 20 ga.
DH that I will eventually have to decide, restore or not restore. Your gun is persuasive.

Kind regards,

Jeff

Merv Boyd
12-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Hi Jeff,
Part of my reasoning was that I wanted the engraving, damascus pattern and wood grain to stand out as all of these finishes were lost to the eye due to someone using an abrasive cleaner that scuffed the metal surfaces and wood finish.

I also have an early Parker Trojan 20 gauge that Duncan's and Turnbull restored. I will post pictures after Christmas.

I did not see this one prior to it being restored so I did not have to make the decision.

I'm sure if you post some pictures you will get lots of comments and suggestions.

Good luck and thank you for you positive comments.

Merv