PDA

View Full Version : Repair vs. restoration

Joe Dreisch
11-17-2011, 10:52 PM
After many years I, again, own a VH 16 ga O frame Parker (sn 168904). I was very fortunate to find it at a local auction. The gun has seen use but is crisp and tight. When I got the gun it was dry and had an even patina on the receiver and furniture. The screws are perfect and all timed correctly. Engraving is as sharp as when it left the factory. The more I wipe the receiver with a Walley's wipe, the more trace case colot peeps through the patina. The barrels cleaned up well and retain about 98% original blue. Bores are great (28" IC, F). The stock and forend are the darkest walnut I have ever seen on a VH and show some pretty figure although most of the original finish is gone and the stock is fairly dry looking. It has the original DHBP and grip cap.
Now for the warts.... there are 2 small dents in the barrels- nothing major. The right barrel has a blood spot on top which has mostly cleaned up but left some pitting. The dolls head has the top right corner slightly (1/16") dog eared from a fall but the metal is there, just bent up. Lastly there is the finest of hairline crack in the wrist of the stock from the back of trigger guard bow through the checkered panel about 2" long. I don't know what cracked it but I want it repaired/stabilized before I shoot the gun.
This gun talks to me! I am a hunter and revere the use which put it in the condition that it is in today. Someone hunted this little gun and once I get a few things attended, that is what I intend to do.
Now to my questions. I want to have the dents raised and the dolls head corner peened back to original with the cross hatch as normal. I want barrel wall thickness measured to be certain of what I have. I want the stock crack stabilized but want it to be as invisible as possible. I have been reading the posts eagerly since I found this site a few weeks ago. Looking for referrals to an expert who is close enough to home that I can drive up and talk with the person who will perform the work. From what I've seen, there is a Vicknair Resorations near Lancaster, PA who seems to be highly regarded. I will appreciate any references to this person or anyone within a few hundred miles of Parkville, MD who can do this work correctly.
Lastly, although this gun would be a prime candidate for a "full restoration" and wind up absolutely gorgeous, I do not want to change it. I believe that automobile collectors call it a sympathetic restoration. Where a vehicle is put in 100% mechanical condition and cleaned up cosmetically but not refinished in any way. That is what I want to do. I am 62 years old and this gun is damned near 100. The older I get the more I appreciate the character a gun gets with use. I figure I'll be its' steward for a while and pass it down to someone who will respect and use it like myself.
Makes me want to go out and get a new Britany pup again.......!

Daryl Corona
11-18-2011, 06:59 AM
Joe,
Dewey Vicknair does top notch work. Check out his website, vicknairrestorations.com, and check out the smashed DHE stock which he repaired showing before and after photos. That is my gun and when he was finished you could'nt tell it was ever damaged. Raising dents is no problem either. You would be very happy with his work. I also live in Parkville/Carney and he is 1hr20min from here. PM me if you would like to see his work.
Daryl

Bill Murphy
11-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Your Dewey Vicknair repair will be more than you want to pay, but you will only have to do it once and you will like it. Being able to talk face to face to your gunsmith is worth the extra cost. You will also save on shipping and insurance. Mr. Vicknair has done a lot of work for me, some a bit heroic. My relationship with him also started because his shop is very convenient to my home in Montgomery County, MD.

Joe Dreisch
11-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Gentlemen,
First, let me thank you for responding. Your confirmation of this man's abilities gives me the information I need to proceed. Daryl, that is an incredible set of pictures of your gun!! I would very much like to see it some day and will send a PM soon.
Over the years I have learned that you, pretty much, get what you pay for. Work performed on a classic gun is a lot like taxidermy. You must live with the results for a long time. I have examined many a fine gun over the years which had a mediocre repair done, the effects of which, are permanent. Although I am not wealthy by any stretch, I feel that this gun deserves only top quality service. Every time a bird falls at its' report, it will convince me that I was thinking right! Again, I thank you for your advice.
Regards,
Joe

John Campbell
11-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Joe:
If you're looking for top quality work, there is only one place to go for a Parker: Del Grego. Anything less is a compromise. And doesn't add to the work/value for that marque.

Best, Kensal

Daryl Corona
11-18-2011, 06:42 PM
I've had a number of guns to Delgrago and he does excellent work. But as Bill says there is a huge advantage of being able to hand deliver your gun and talk face to face with your gunsmith. No shipping, insurance or concerns about your gun in transit. It's a win/win.

John Campbell
11-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Double:
You may certainly be right. A Parker made right by Vicknair may soon be worth more than one put right by Del Grego. If you wait a couple of centuries.

Joe Dreisch
11-18-2011, 08:04 PM
I can appreciate both points and, certainly do appreciate the input. I am not in a hurry so I will take to the upcoming deer season with something to think about when I am in the stand or tower blind. My brother in law has a VH 12 ga which is reputed to have a Del Grego restoration and is quite happy with it. I do not want to cast dispersions on anyone's work and, thus, my request for your experiences.
Thanks to all who care to opine.
Joe

Daryl Corona
11-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Kensal,
I'm not sure where you are coming from but I don't have to wait a century or so to appreciate quality gun work. Mr. Delgrago does fine work but there are a handful of other craftsman, Mr. Vicknair included, that do fine work and could have very easily worked for Parker Bros. in Meriden during that period. You obviously have not had much work done where you have had to ship things via UPS or USPS and incurred damaged. As a matter of fact Mr. Delgrago could not fix a single trigger Parker I shipped to him a total of three times. He sent it back with his apologies of not being able to reduce the second barrel's trigger pull under 8lbs. Took it to Mr. Vicknair and he had it down to a crisp 3.5lbs. in a matter of hours. Go figure. Did'nt even have to wait a couple of centuries. Don't think I could have waited that long as i'm kind of impatient. What I paid Mr. Vicknair was within $10.00 of what I paid in shipping and insurance. It's truly a no brainer.

John Campbell
11-19-2011, 05:22 AM
Double:
Well taken. My apologies for being less than a gentleman about it... which you certainly have been. Good work is good work. I'm sure that includes Mr. Vicknair. Again, mia culpa.

Best, Kensal

John Campbell
11-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Jent:
Good point. I spoke with Del Grego about two months ago about a set of Damascus barrels. He said he understood my problem and commiserated, but due to liability issues, he said he could not work on the barrels (thank you, American lawyers). I'm not sure if he would consider working on other portions of a Damascus barrel gun... say the stock or action parts, etc.

Best, Kensal

Best, Kensal

Bill Murphy
11-23-2011, 08:54 AM
For the kind of repairs you want done on the VH 16, I would box it up and send it to Keith Kearcher in Bend, Oregon. Don't overinsure it and don't send it by some expensive method. Send it USPS Registered. You will get it faster and cheaper than if you use my two favorite Parker gunsmiths, Larry Del Grego or Dewey Vicknair. The end result will be just fine.

John Campbell
11-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Mr. Murphy offers sound advice for shipping. However, my past experience may suggest an alternative to his choice of craftsmen. Personally, I'd send the gun to Bachelder if not Del Grego or Vicknair.

Best, Kensal