PDA

View Full Version : Gun # 7872

Dave Smith
11-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Saved from a scrap heap: purchased this underlifter at Tulsa show Sunday morning. nice original gun. Is there a source for buying black powder shells to shoot in this veteran?

Bruce Day
11-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I suspect that if you went to Google and typed in "black powder shotgun shells" you might find black powder shotgun shells.

The bigger question is "why?"

Dave Smith
11-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Can anyone direct me to load data for blackpowder shot shells? I would also like suggestions for a smokeless shell for this gun.

Frank Cronin
11-15-2011, 11:30 PM
http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

I like to use the old powder dippers to measure black powder.

For 12ga. - 3 drams of 2F, nitro card, 1/2' filler wad, over shot card, 1 oz of shot.. I use my progressive press to drop shot and to make a star crimp with federal paper hulls. Shells come out real nice.

Get the Lyman Black Powder Handbook and Loading Manual. Gives load data, velocity, and PSI.

Dave Smith
11-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Thank you stub twist this is good intel on the black powder thing. I will now move all reloading questions to appropriate reloading forum. This old underlifter gun has plain twist steel any thoughts on or dirrections on what to look for with this gun prior to firing her?

calvin humburg
11-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Magteck makes brass hulls if you want to have a easy reload if so ask we'll tell you how, they taught me. Brass and black will freak the norm out. lot of fun with the bretta and benili bunch.

Dave Smith
11-16-2011, 11:10 PM
I will contact magtec and yes it is fun to follow the old ways I'll be back in touch as soon as I get brass.