PDA

View Full Version : 2 7/8" 10 gauge goose loads

Bob Brown
09-25-2009, 03:07 PM
I just took a break from loading some 2 7/8" 10 gauge for goose hunting this weekend and next week. Its my first time trying to load them on press and I messed up 8-9 hulls getting it set up. We'll be hunting over decoys. I went with a light load of 1 1/4 oz Tungsten Matrix over 35 grns. of SR 4756, Federal hulls, SP10 wads, and Win 209 primers. This is a load that according to Sherman Bell's data that would give 1221 FPS (I know Destry, may as well use a 12) and 5400 psi with lead. I couldn't find any TM load data except for the one 1 1/2 oz load Bell had and I didn't want to go that heavy. Has anyone tried the 1 1/4 oz lead load I mentioned? Did I go too light? Please don't suggest the various short 10 factory loads, they're not available in Canada so its handloads or nothing.
I'll be shooting a 3 frame top lever hammer gun and an early damascus British gun that weighs 7 lbs 11 oz, so I didn't want something that would kick too much. Another 3 frame 10 gauge hammer gun will likely be shooting them as well. I just stepped outside and fired one off, stiff but not excessive recoil. What do you think of my load choice? Any advice would be appreciated.

Destry L. Hoffard
09-25-2009, 05:10 PM
The problem with trying to load TM is that the shot has never been commercially available here in the US so there's absolutely no loading data available. I've heard of one guy in Washington State that was developing some loads for it but that's just a grapevine thing.

Destry

Bob Brown
09-25-2009, 05:31 PM
It is too bad that it isn't available as loose shot in North America. I bought a bunch of 3 1/2" 12s with 2 1/8 oz shot to tear down to get what I have. It doesn't add up to many pounds but it was still competitive with niceshot or bismuth.

E Robert Fabian
09-25-2009, 07:51 PM
To answer your question Bob yes I have. I think if you study Sherman's load data that you find most every thing from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 takes the 35 36 grs. of 4756. I have a adjustable shot and powder bar on my ten ga. press and use a digital scale to tune it in. I guess the question I would ask myself is what is the weight of the Tungsten Matrix compared to the lead and Bismuth loads listed. This is the only loading that I venture into the unknown. Good luck on your hunt.

Bob Brown
09-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the reply, Robert. I just put an adjustable powder/shot bar on my Steelmaster press as well. The weight/volume of the TM must be fairly close to lead since the crimp seems about right with the 1 1/4 oz of TM. I'll see over the next several days how it works in the field.

E Robert Fabian
09-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Bob, I find with the Federal hulls and the SP-10 wad that you can load lead from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 with 1 3/8 being the best fit. Let us know how you make out this weekend on the geese, they have been scarce here this early season.

Russell Hooper
11-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Didnt have much luck with TM in my 10 ga, but workes fine in my 8ga.I shoot Bismuth factory loads in the 10. I tryed several hulls and wads,but seemed to have very poor resultes. Gamebore in UK load 10 ga 27/8 in in Tm but Kent wont bring them in. Russell

Harry Collins
11-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Bob,

I too use the Sherman Bell load you have chosen. I trim the hulls to 2 3/4" rather than 2 7/8" and add a 16 gauge over powder card to the SP-10 wad prior to dropping the shot. For non tox loads I use Nice Shot. It is close enough in weight that you can drop it through a regular 1 1/4 oz shot bar. It does not require buffer and patterns great at these velocities and with light loads per gauge. Oh, and it will kill cleanly.

Harry

Don Kaas
11-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I handloaded some 10g Federal hull cut to 3" and used 1 1/4 oz of Bismuth, SP10 over a gas check wad and 35 gr of 4756, Win 209 and a roll crimp. They seemed to work fine in #3 frame 36" D2 GH and a #3 frame 30" T1 toplever. Good luck to you Bob.

Richard Flanders
11-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I've had good results with load #79 with the SR7625 powder charge raised to 33 grains and no card wad under the shot. Just fill the shell to the right level. 1-1/8oz bismuth or 1-1/4oz KTM or lead fills it about right and I get a VERY clean burn and no signs of over pressure. I'm thinking I'm getting around 1200 or a tad more velocity and pressure well within desired and safe limits for my damascus gun. I think you can use that 33gr load with a full charge of any shot you desire and be safe in a sound damascus gun. The only thing I've noticed is that with shot sizes over #2 you have to measure each shot charge as the larger sizes will clog and stick in the feed tube. Bob: if you want to buy some BB size bismuth, I have more than I'll ever use in my lifetime and would love to sell some of it off. It should make a good goose load.

Bill Murphy
11-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Bob, I would test your 5400 loads after a night in the freezer to make sure they work in cold weather. That is pretty low pressure. If you get any off sound loads from the freezer, you may consider going to a slightly faster powder to get the pressures up just a little. On the other hand, the 5400 loads may be all you would want to shoot in the under eight pound gun. How thick are the barrel walls in your light gun?

Bob Brown
11-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Computer problems and work prevented me from posting earlier. Trigg Davis and I used the loads I did up when he and Richard Flanders came down to Debolt the last week of September. In hindsight I should have used a 16 ga card in the wad to fill it a little more. The shells were hard to fit in the chambers and extract. Live and learn. They worked fine on the geese and ducks we shot, especially for Trigg who was using my light 10. He was hitting almost everything he shot at. Unfortunately, I had to retire my 3 frame 10 after I put some cracks in the stock head the first morning. Three days after I returned home the temperature dropped and all the waterfowl vanished. Living on the northern edge of cultivated land the waterfowl season is best described as sudden and short. Bill, the MWT on my light 10 are 32 and 33 thou. Here's a few pictures of the old girl. After seeing the beautiful refinished barrels on Rich's Parker I'm thinking of sending these out to have them redone.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/Northof58/rawbone.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/Northof58/rawbone3.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/Northof58/rawbone5.jpg
30" barrels, 2 7/8" chambers, and mirror bores. She's marked J.L. Rawbone, Toronto, Canada, but obviously started out at Westley Richards. A great handling British gun, lighter than several of my 2 frame 12s. Richard, thanks for the offer to buy some of those BBs you bought, and thanks again for leaving me some of your hand loads and shell boxes. I used them to adjust my Mec so any I load now shouldn't give the same chambering problems. It will be a while before I need any more non tox, we'll talk about it in the new year. I've also have that 1880, 10 ga, grade 2 lifter I mentioned on the way to me now, not sure of the chamber length. Hopefully it will make it into the blinds with us next year.

Bill Murphy
11-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Bob, an early gun like the Grade 2 you describe may have square edge chambers. In that case, you should trim your shells to the exact length of the chambers so the wads make a smooth transition to the bores.

Bob Brown
11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the advice, Bill. I'll check the chambers when it arrives. It should get here in a couple of days, so I might be posting for more info on it. I've never actually seen a lifter before so it will be interesting.

Bill Murphy
11-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah, post pictures of the Grade 2 when it gets to you. Is your ten with the cracks in the stock head a hammerless or a hammer gun? I am in need of a set of three frame hammerless barrels and would buy a cheap gun to get them.

scott kittredge
11-30-2009, 07:16 PM
hi bob, i to shoot a 10 eh on a 2 frame 8 3/4 lbs. my goose load is 35 grs 4756 , sp 10 wad, 1 3/8 th oz bismuth BB and roll crimp(love the roll crimp you can mark the top card with shot size and pay load) i have killed geese out to 60 yds and i let pete lester use it to shoot at a passing flock and he droped a banded one on turkey day. love the 10 scott

Bob Brown
12-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the reply, Scott. The roll crimp sounds like a good idea, lower pressure too. The 3 frame is a hammer gun, Bill, but it is a long way from done. I'll fix the cracks and she'll still be getting birds long after I'm gone. I actually expected it to be in the latest Parkers Found listing. Do they only update the list in PP in the spring?