PDA

View Full Version : CA. Valley Quail

Mark Vollinger
11-11-2011, 07:23 PM
A friend and I hunted in the Los Padres National Forest this week and found Valley quail in abundance.

The terrain is hilly with Chaparral vegetation comprised of scrub and live Oaks, Manzanita, Sage and catus. The coveys had generally 20 to 40 birds and held very tight.

Chuck has several Parkers but takes an Ithaca .410 to the field with great effect. His lab Jas does a great job and a new Elhew pointer, Skye shows promise.
I hauled out a GH 16 Damascus with 28" barrels and cyl/cyl chokes. It works pretty well so I may have to redo the French Polish with a matte finish and pass on bending the wood....

Bill Davis
11-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Great pix! Thanks for sharing..

charlie cleveland
11-12-2011, 08:14 PM
got to be good using the 410...nice dog looks to be young... charlie

Rich Anderson
11-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Beautiful birds and thats one nice looking Ithaca. Is it one of the new ones that were produced a few years ago under the direction of Steve Lamboy?

Destry L. Hoffard
11-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Nice! I'm envious to say the least. The only quail I've ever shot, other than the standard bobwhite, was blue quail out in Arizona. I had a chance at a mearns but missed of course....

DLH

Russ Jackson
11-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Mark ,Great pictures ,looks like you guys had a wonderful day ! My Father and my Grand Father ,talked of the Great Snow and frigid temperatures ,that killed the lot of our Native Quail in our area of Pa. in the early 1940's ,of course they would have been Bobs ! Once ,my Dogs pointed a Covey here at home about ten years back ,I got lucky and killed a Double with my 16 Ga. Trojan ,I have them mounted in my Gun Room ,the only Quail I have ever seen or have ever shot at ,other than my pen raised Birds and who knows where they came from ! Russ