PDA

View Full Version : Purchase of Parker Shotgun

Webster C. Heath
11-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I am about to purchase my first Parker Shotgun and I would like to get some information about this gun.
The S/N for this shotgun is 148589 and my questions are
1. When was it manufactured.
2. What size of shel is it chambered
3. What additional information can you provide?
Web Heath
775-787-7612

Gill Frye
11-10-2011, 01:32 PM
The serialization book says a VH 16 gauge with 28" tubes, capped pistol grip, good luck with your purchase.

Jeff Kuss
11-10-2011, 01:57 PM
1908 gun

Webster C. Heath
11-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I want to thank all of you for helping me in this purchase. What surprised me when I picked up the shotgun was that it came with the original gun case really cool. The case is in good condition except for the shoulder strap and the case cover cap strap both need to be replaced. Is there any person or company that the Association knows that I could contact about doing the repair work.
Again thank you for all your help
Web Heath
775-787-7612

Robin Lewis
11-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Give Kevin a call, he is a PGCA life member and can fix you up.

see http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4325&highlight=case+repair

calvin humburg
11-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Webster how about some pictures of the pair. Glad your here. best ch

Bill Robbert
12-17-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm looking to have my Parker 12 gauge side by side barrels repaired. They are pitting. Any suggestions?

Jeff Mayhew
12-17-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm looking to have my Parker 12 gauge side by side barrels repaired. They are pitting. Any suggestions?

Bill, you may have better luck posting your query in the "Parker Restoration" section. Good luck.

Dean Romig
12-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Bill, 'pitting' isn't always as bad as it sounds. A lot of us have Parkers with moderately pitted bores and we shoot them regularly. The only way to eliminate pitted bores is to hone them and this one act by someone who is a hobbyist is the cause of many ruined shotguns. My recommendation is to have the bores checked by an expert to determine if the gun is safe to shoot as it is.

Steve McCarty
12-27-2011, 03:36 PM
You can call Keith Kearcher of Bend, Oregon. He makes magic on old barrels. He'll hone the bores if you want and to what degree you want it done unless it makes them too thin.

You will have the barrels back within a month or less. They guy is pretty darn fast, but I live just down the street from him and I go over to his shop and drop my guns off.
He can even have the barrels re-engraved so the Parker name, etc looks new. He is an experienced Parker collector, but today he is "into" double rifles.

You can google him, but if you want your barrels to look like new inside and out it'll set you back almost $600, but you'll have to ask him for exact quote. He can also re-choke as you please and change the chamber length. He is a genius with wood.

I have taken guns to him that were borderline junk, then he waved his magic wand they came back like new, and I was then and am now astounded. I took my GH to him to have the works repaired. I discussed a re-do. He wouldn't do it, saying that the patina was perfect, showing wear and care that made the gun a classic. So he has integrity.

If I had a headache I believe he could do brain surgery. He is very good.

George Lander
12-27-2011, 03:53 PM
A bit closer to you than Keith (who does wonderful work) is Jim Kelly of Darlington Gun Works, Darlington, South Carolina (who also does wonderful work) and is set up to do expert barrel honeing. Phone # is (843) 393-3931. Tell him that George sent you.

Best Regards, George

scott porter
01-16-2012, 11:13 PM
I would second that recommendatoin on Jim Kelly. I have him check out all the guns I purchase and he has done great repair, restoration work.

scott kittredge
01-18-2012, 05:49 PM
You can call Keith Kearcher of Bend, Oregon. He makes magic on old barrels. He'll hone the bores if you want and to what degree you want it done unless it makes them too thin.

You will have the barrels back within a month or less. They guy is pretty darn fast, but I live just down the street from him and I go over to his shop and drop my guns off.
He can even have the barrels re-engraved so the Parker name, etc looks new. He is an experienced Parker collector, but today he is "into" double rifles.

You can google him, but if you want your barrels to look like new inside and out it'll set you back almost $600, but you'll have to ask him for exact quote. He can also re-choke as you please and change the chamber length. He is a genius with wood.

I have taken guns to him that were borderline junk, then he waved his magic wand they came back like new, and I was then and am now astounded. I took my GH to him to have the works repaired. I discussed a re-do. He wouldn't do it, saying that the patina was perfect, showing wear and care that made the gun a classic. So he has integrity.

If I had a headache I believe he could do brain surgery. He is very good.

all of the above is sooo true, thats where my guns go,:)

Rich Anderson
01-18-2012, 06:12 PM
I can do brain surgery.....my survival rate sucks however:eek: I defer to the experts:bowdown: