PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Restoration

Stephen Hodges
11-02-2011, 07:24 PM
I ran across this interesting shotgun barrel restoration process and thought some might be interested in knowing of it, if you don't already.

http://www.joncornerprecision.com/Barrel.html

Don Kaas
11-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Jon did this process for Teague the British choke tube firm and went out on his own. He lined a couple of Parkers for me including a CH Bernard gun. Excellent workmanship and beautifully done but it has become rather pricey especially as the Royal Mail will no longer handle gun parts. So, return shipping must be done by air freight with the associated customs handling fees.

Ray Masciarella
11-03-2011, 10:45 AM
I looked into this on a gun that had the chokes bored way out. Shipping wust be done though his agent in CO. The total price was about $3000. Way too much for me.

I settled on having the chokes sleeved using the same/simialr process. Cost $450. Shipping still a hassle as they had to be sent to Canada.

It is a good barrle fix if money is no issue. I have seem them. They looked great although I don't like the stampings placed in the barrels.

Ray

Stephen Hodges
11-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I think the price now through the CO agent is $4250:eek:

Robin Lewis
11-03-2011, 01:09 PM
They need to get someone here in the U.S.A set up to do this, it would simplify things and probably make it more cost effective. The shipping process and proof house overhead could be avoided.

Forrest Grilley
11-03-2011, 04:52 PM
They need to get someone here in the U.S.A set up to do this, it would simplify things and probably make it more cost effective. The shipping process and proof house overhead could be avoided.

Good point. The cost would be reduced by a third just by eliminating the exchange rate. By also removing the shipping and proof charges the cost would be less than half of what is currently charged. If only I could afford a CNC honing machine....

Destry L. Hoffard
11-04-2011, 05:02 PM
I believe you can avoid all the proof house stampings by asking for a certificate of proof rather than the markings. Maybe they don't do this anymore but they used to I'm certain.

DLH