PDA

View Full Version : 12 gauge hammer double ?

Ray Pond
10-29-2011, 09:48 PM
my 92 year old friend has a parker hammer double wit either a T-latch or lifte action.highway silver emblem on top of wrist,dogs head on recoil plate,water table has #s 28277, patnd dates are mar 26,1878,barrel patd april 1,1876,pat mar 18 ,1875 on frame,nov.13,1866 and marc 28,1876 on bottom of reciever. turkeys on left side of receiver, marsh scene on right side with flying ducks.O-)-)-) PARKER BROS. MAKERS. MERDIAN CONN. DAMACUS STEEL (-(-(-O, on barrels; barrel lug has a "D" on it,pat April 11,1876;also on barrel bottom side is 5 0 2 with the o a tad bit higher than the 5 and 2; also on the sides of the receiver sides is PARKER BROS . also on the water table is 2 18 277 . any information you all can provide us with would be extrremely appreciattted.Thanks in advance .

Richard Flanders
10-30-2011, 02:38 AM
The serial number indicates it was made in 1882. Others may chime in and tell you what the old records indicate as to grade. It would help if you could post a few pictures of the gun that show the sides of the receiver, the barrel flats and the tables of the receiver. Tell us how long the barrels are also.

calvin humburg
10-30-2011, 06:09 AM
My guess would be grade 2 there should be a number on barrel lug maybe a 2 and pictures please. I don't understand 0-)-)-). I looked at my rib I understand. best ch

Gary Carmichael Sr
10-30-2011, 08:30 AM
It does sound like a grade 2 gun, Are the bolsters sculptured? Some early grade two guns had this but as I recall, I think they had steel buttplates, also some had order numbers as well as serial numbers marked. As the other guys said photo's would be good! Also I have never seen a one frame grade two, I'm sure they are out there. The ones I have are all pretty heavy guns. Any one have a 1 frame?

Jack Cronkhite
10-30-2011, 10:03 AM
28277 listed as Plain Twist Top Lever No Extras Straight Grip 10 gauge with 30" barrels

So...... something is amiss

Book has erroneous entry or serial number typo or I need another cuppa coffee and put on my glasses.

Cheers,
Jack

David Holes
10-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I am waiting on barrels for a 1 frame ,grade 2. Everything awaits the barrels arriving home and then we will give it a good hunt test. Dave

edgarspencer
10-30-2011, 08:21 PM
IT's MeridEn, with 2 Es, no As

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
10-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Ray: What part of Idaho do you live. You could be close to some of our members. I'm in Star Idaho right outside Boise. Thomas

Ray Pond
10-31-2011, 08:32 PM
we are in Buhl not too far away. also the bolsters are sculptured. Going to take pictures sometime this week and put them on.

Ray Pond
10-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Bolsters are sculptured.Thanks

Ray Pond
11-08-2011, 09:44 PM
heres the pictures. thanks for your help in this matter Ray

Dean Romig
11-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the pictures Ray. Those are nice and clear.
Now there's a Parker that has earned it's keep!

I have never seen a serial number lined out like that and it looks to have been done at the Parker Gunworks. I may be wrong but it looks to have been done a very long time ago and with the correct dies.

Jack Cronkhite
11-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Both Serial Numbers show the same info in the book.

Grade: D2 = Grade 2 with Damascus barrels
Action: Underlifter
Extras: 0
Stock: Pistol Grip (not capped)
Gauge: 10
Barrel Length: 30 inches

It appears the struck out SN is only on the fore end iron. Subject to guessing what might be behind that - an earlier order for a two barrel set that was cancelled for single barrel set so the already stamped fore end iron was restamped for this gun?????? Other thoughts?

Bolsters are engraved but not sculptured

The pictures are nicely done and appear to represent a gun matching the information in the ID&Serialization book.

The gun looks like it needs a lot of TLC and smith attention prior to putting back into service (if the barrels are okay)
There are rust issues
The stock head appears very dark possibly indicating a lot of oil in the wood
The barrels appear to be off face
The Dogs Head Butt Plate is worn very smooth, indicating a lot of use - I LIKE THAT - Maybe your friend could tell us a few hunting tales associated with this gun.

Cheers,
Jack

David Holes
11-08-2011, 10:53 PM
What a story that girl could tell.

calvin humburg
11-09-2011, 07:53 AM
I agree with everybody a cool ol gun with a lot of personality. Yes I bet it could tell some good stories.

Ray Pond
11-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks Jack guess the next question is is how do we find the value of this old shotgun ?

Ray Pond
12-10-2011, 10:08 PM
visited with Bud today. I have known him since 1979 and during that time the shotgun wa a wall hanger. He told me today that the shotgun was bought from a fellow officer while he was on the LAPD and has been a wall hanger ever since,roughly 60 years. He doesnt remember being told any history on the shotgun so I guess it cant tell us a lot about itself which is sad. Other than the fact he always thought it was a Remington until the last four months when we inspected it closer and discovered it was a PARKER !! The question he now has is what would the value of it be ? any suggestions ? Thanks in advance for any input.

Richard Flanders
12-10-2011, 10:34 PM
That beauty looks like it has had a L O T of shells put through it. Can't even imagine how many. And of how many birds it has brought home for the table... or market whichever it may be. Looks like the locking lug was welded up and maybe the breech end of the barrels and the breech balls peened to try to close up the "off face" gap. Someone also used a chisel to remove metal and pry the lower tang assembly from the bottom of the receiver instead of tapping it out from above. I truly wish these old guns could tell us of their travels and hunting adventures. I can just see someone doing whatever necessary to keep this thing shooting. The butt plate wear is most impressive. And some in this group think they do a lot of shooting.... Ha! Whew...

David Holes
12-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Them Remington Parkers always seem to bring more dollars.

charlie cleveland
12-11-2011, 03:27 PM
ray a gun like this is worth a wholelot more for memeory sakes...if the gun were on gunbroker on auction block...i would venture a guess of 400.00 dollars give take 50 dollars... wish i had a roomful of guns just like yours.... charlie

Ray Pond
02-20-2012, 10:35 PM
well guys Bud decided to give me this old 10 gauge. I have recieved the letter on it and have tried to scan and post elsewhere but didnt suceed. Will try again soon. I had to tell you I had tears im my eyes when he told me I could take it with me that wonderful day. I can tell you it went from Ashville, NC to Los Angeles Calif. in its lifetime being born on Sept. 8 1881 weighed in at 8 pounds 3 ounces,someday I will weigh it and let you know if it gained, was returned on July 18,1886 for a new frame and stock for a cost of $30. Ray