PDA

View Full Version : Year of manufacture S/N 4216

Brian Dudley
10-26-2011, 04:40 PM
I am picking up a Project Hammer Parker in 12g. Don't have it yet. But it looks to be a quality 2 (G). Lifter, Keyed forend, no recessed hinge pin, pistol grip.

Serial Number is 4216. What year would that be? I figure 1866-1868.

Mark Landskov
10-26-2011, 05:45 PM
It was made in 1874.

Brian Dudley
11-09-2011, 06:50 PM
I received this hammer gun today and here are a few pictures of it and I have an album set up with all the pics that I took. A project for sure. A bit worse than expected in some areas, but nicer than expected in others.

S/N 4216
30" Damascus Barrels.
Nice bores with only very light pitting.
Solid rib joints, they ring like a bell.
"0" stamped on bottom of each tube and "JL" on barrel flat.

Has what looks like "F(dot)R" stamped above S/N on water table.
Has "Parker" half stamped twice on bottom of upper tang.

Breech locks up very tight. I can support the weight of the gun with a piece of paper when closed in the breech.

Frame has light scroll engraving and a full bodied Dog on the bottom.
Will need some metal work and engraving touched up in spots, especially around the front of the locks.

The buttstock surely is not orininal as it is not correct form and has not numbers on it at all. Has metal buttplate with engraved spur.

Trigger plate is cracked, but not all the way. And guard has been broken and welded back together and had a second hole put in it. No serial number engraving on it.

All screws and parts are there, just has one broken firing pin.

My main questions are:
What Grade? What grip configuration originally? Would there be much info available for a research letter on a gun this old?

Mark Landskov
11-09-2011, 07:07 PM
There are 'surviving factory records' for your gun. Are you going to attempt a duplication of the original stock, or repair it?

Dave Suponski
11-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Brian, The gun looks to be salvageable. One thing to bear in mind on these early guns..If you will notice the area where the standing breech meets the water table that there is a sharp corner and no radius as on later guns. We have observed frames that have failed in this area and most likely the reason Parker started radiusing this area. If you plan on shooting this gun keep your loads light.

Brian Dudley
11-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Well the stock that I have I severly doubt to be original. But I was hoping to be able to at least use it as a rough pattern for my duplicator. But it is too far gone for sure to do that. So I will be having to do it by hand most likely when the time comes.

I would like to put it back to it's original configuration.

This one will be a definate labor of love and time. But I love bringing ones like this back.

Would this be a Grade 2 (G)?

Brian Dudley
11-10-2011, 10:33 AM
The guy I bought this gun from tells me that it spend many years of it's life above a fireplace in a restaurant in NH. Kind of like a cracker barrel gun.

charlie cleveland
11-10-2011, 07:52 PM
dudley i like those old type guns too...ive never fixed one up other than tinker keep us posted on the work....charlie

Brian Dudley
11-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Speaking of, anyone know of a good place to get the engraving touched up in the spots where the metal is marred? That won't empty my bank account?

Dave Suponski
11-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Check out "Engraving by Noelle" on the net. I shot with her last weekend and myself and a few guys here have used her services with satisfaction. In fact I asked her last weekend if it was difficult to pick up engraving done by another hand 100 years ago. She replied that it is fun,interesting and informative. I think her prices are very reasonable.

Brian Dudley
11-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Any idea of what the original grip configuration might have been on this gun?

I was thinking of getting a research letter, but not sure when to put down on the form for Grade. It is a Damascus barrel, not twist. Based on that fact, and the level of engraving I was thinking grade 2.

Mark Landskov
11-11-2011, 05:40 PM
The serial number should be all that is necessary. The factory records may have the info you desire. I know they did for my 1877 Grade '0' Lifter, even the fellow's name that ordered it!

Gary Carmichael Sr
11-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Brian, I believe you have a dollar grade gun, I would say a 135.00 grade, and it has 3 pins instead of four that are found on higher grades Nice looking project gun, I know you will have a ball fixing it up. Good luck with it Gary

Frank Cronin
11-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Brian, for my early lifter 4071, it did say who the gun was sold to. F.L Gaines of Greenfield, MA.

Pics are in my album.