PDA

View Full Version : question

charlie cleveland
10-24-2011, 10:09 AM
on the LEE LOADER hand set.. ive never been able to get a good crimp heck or even smething close to a good crimp...do you fellas have the same trouble or is it just me.... charlie

Keith Parrish
10-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Charlie,

Check this out. What the gentleman calls a beautiful crimp is a crimp that would make me so upset I'd just leave the hand loader in the box for looks. Granted it will do in a pinch should I not have my MEC close by and I guess it would do the trick. But take a look at this it may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBRX6i8Rp6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBRX6i8Rp6o

charlie cleveland
10-24-2011, 07:43 PM
i could never get the page up.. but from your view other people must also have trouble with the crimp...i usally just use a old roll crimper i have instead of using the lee hand tool..... charlie

Keith Parrish
10-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Charlie to explain what I saw this man do he made a star crimp with the loader but without the folded lip on the outside of the pies it seemed flat at the top. I can't blame you for using the roller to finish the shell. From what I saw I would have done the same as you do.

I have just had my hand at AA hulls and I like them I have only loaded Gun Clubs until I came into these. My next hull to try are Rem's STS's and then PAPER. I would like to steer away from all of the steel base hulls all together.

Paul Harm
10-25-2011, 10:15 AM
I've never had a problem with steel base but, if you're picking them up and they came out of an auto there's a good chance they're over sized. They come out of the gun so quick they expand at the base and should be resized. But all Remingtons reload the same and the crimps look like factory if the reloader is set up right. Paul

John Farrell
11-03-2011, 02:23 PM
The steel base shells will give you more headaches than a bottle of cheap wine. As Mr. Forge states, if they are out of a semi auto they need to be resized. Sometimes, twice. And you have to go all the way to the rim. Even some of the brass based hulls are simply brass washed and a steel hull lurks under the brass wash. Need a magnet to detect them by placing the magnet on the side of the hull, not the base with the steel primer cup. jf

John Farrell
11-04-2011, 02:20 PM
As a follow up to the discussion of hulls out of a semi-auto shotgun, there is another problem with them. Depending on the gun, when they are extracted from the chamber after firing the hull wall and the base can be pulled out of plumb. After you reload them, sometimes they will go into a different gun hard which is caused by the hull realigning as it goes into the chamber. It appears that once you fire the hull in your own gun, and then reload it, the reload will chamber "more better".

Destry L. Hoffard
11-07-2011, 06:19 PM
My cousin used to load 10 gauge shells years ago with a Lee Loader that had a roll crimper. They were fine for about a day but then the crimp would start to open and you'd have to crimp them again. If you didn't they would squib every time, shot would just barrel roll out of the barrel.

DLH

charlie cleveland
11-07-2011, 09:30 PM
a few have squibbed with me to destrey .. that old ten of mine did that on a nice doe last year just had to laugh...charlie

Mark Ouellette
11-08-2011, 06:52 AM
Charlie,

A roll crimp would solve this problem and produce a fine looking shell!

Mark

charlie cleveland
11-08-2011, 10:45 AM
mark i do roll crimp on every thing but the ten just aint got around to buying a roll crimper for the ten yet...ive got the lee loader hand set of reloading that comes in a little red box its what i can not or dont know the secret to making good crimps with... charlie