PDA

View Full Version : old-style primer seating tool vs. new

Jeff Mayhew
10-22-2011, 09:29 PM
I decided to try out one of the older "pliers" style primer seating tools with RMC brass cases and standard 209 primers. I understand that the older tool is specifically for balloon-head cases, where pounding down on the inside base of the casing from above is not acceptable.

It works fine, and in fact has a nice positive seating feel (I prefer a grip-style primer seating tool for my regular cartridge reloading). However, it flattens the face of the primer considerably. See picture below; the left primer was seated using large "drift" pounded into the case from above, whereas the right primer was seated using the old "squeezer" tool.

Is this normal? Did the older primers have a different construction that avoided this? It seems very likely that it won't affect the function of the primer, but I'm just curious about whether this is normal, or the effect of using an "old" tool on "new" primers. Thanks!

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/spikeismyname/casing.jpg

Mark Landskov
10-22-2011, 10:55 PM
I have a few antique priming tools of varying quality. Some of them have cupped anvils and do not distort primers, while others are flat, and yet many seem to have a convex anvil that craters the primers. I have two complete, unused loading outfits from BGI and UH Co that have priming tools with the convex anvil. Studying catalogs gave me the impression that these tools were their bargain sets. My E. Remington and 'more expensive' BGI priming tools look as though they would not distort primers. It would seem with antique loading tools, you certainly got what you paid for! In my shotshell collection, I have some 19th century brass shells that were obviously primed with tools 'of the day'. Also, early brass and paper shells used primers, such as the No. 2, that was, basically, a standard large size primer for shotshells and handgun cartridges. Battery cup primers came about much later. I do not want to venture a guess without consulting my catalogs. Cheers!

Ronald Moore
10-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Do you have a source for RMC brass cases?

Ron Moore

edgarspencer
10-23-2011, 11:56 AM
I'd be very hesitant to use the old style pliers type primer tool on a 209. Brass shells used a very small primer, and the concaved anvil fit over the whole diameter, but the anvil is too small for a 209. You stand a chance of setting off a 209 with one of those tools.

Mark Landskov
10-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Good point, Edgar. I load modern Remington 10 gauge hulls with a Lee Loader and am quite amazed at how much force is required to prime and de-prime.

Jeff Mayhew
10-23-2011, 03:12 PM
I'd be very hesitant to use the old style pliers type primer tool on a 209. Brass shells used a very small primer, and the concaved anvil fit over the whole diameter, but the anvil is too small for a 209. You stand a chance of setting off a 209 with one of those tools.

Yes, I was holding the tool with the case opening away from me, pointed in a safe direction, like a cap pistol! :whistle:

It really wouldn't make any sense to load primers this way, given the alternative. Seems like it would put unnecessary wear on the rim of the case.

Jeff Mayhew
10-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Do you have a source for RMC brass cases?

Ron Moore

Of course, and you do to! Google "Rocky Mountain Cartridge" for the website. Dave Casey does magnificent work. The cases aren't cheap, but with care they'll last practically forever.

Jeff Mayhew
10-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I have a few antique priming tools of varying quality. Some of them have cupped anvils and do not distort primers, while others are flat, and yet many seem to have a convex anvil that craters the primers. I have two complete, unused loading outfits from BGI and UH Co that have priming tools with the convex anvil. Studying catalogs gave me the impression that these tools were their bargain sets. My E. Remington and 'more expensive' BGI priming tools look as though they would not distort primers. It would seem with antique loading tools, you certainly got what you paid for! In my shotshell collection, I have some 19th century brass shells that were obviously primed with tools 'of the day'. Also, early brass and paper shells used primers, such as the No. 2, that was, basically, a standard large size primer for shotshells and handgun cartridges. Battery cup primers came about much later. I do not want to venture a guess without consulting my catalogs. Cheers!

This tool is from an unused BGI "Eureka" set; clearly not top-of-the-line, but complete in the original box.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/spikeismyname/box.jpg

charlie cleveland
10-23-2011, 04:53 PM
any body ever have a primer go off while seating it in a hull...just wandering...ive never had one go off and hopefully never... charlie

Dave Suponski
10-23-2011, 06:24 PM
I have not done it myself but I have heard of it happening in the MEC automatic machines such as the 9000. Don't know if it was operator error or not I wasn't there. The guy that told me that it had happened to him is a high volume .410/28 gauge tournament shooter.

Mark Landskov
10-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Jeff, my No. 159 set is labeled the same as yours. There is another label underneath that has me curious, though. According to the 1901 BGI catalog, the 'Eureka' name was assigned to a line of budget priced tools and implements. The 'Eureka' name was also used by Union Hardware Company for their line of reloading tools. My UH Co. Eureka 20 gauge outfit is mint. the black paint is unmarred, even on the priming tool anvil, which is very convex.