PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION ON HAMMER GUN?

George Lander
10-20-2011, 06:38 PM
I just received a Parker hammer gun SN 37650, Quality 1, #2 frame, 10 gauge w/ 2 7/8" chambers & 30 " barrels choked full & full. My question is on the top rib marking: "PARKER BROS MAKERS, MERIDAN CONN." with no mention of the type steel. Is this common as I don't ever remember seeing it this way?

Just Wondering, Geprge

Bill Murphy
10-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Does it have a steel code on the barrel flat? I have not seen a Parker Brothers shotgun with "Meridan" on the rib. Can you post pictures of the rib and the barrel flats?

Mark Landskov
10-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Hi George. According to TPS, page 583-584, 'few guns' have been found without the steel identification. The book does not elaborate. A rib like yours is not even illustrated amongst all the variations. Interesting!

George Lander
10-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Hello Bill & Mark: The serialization book calls 37650 an "L1" which would denote Laminated Steel barrels. There is a "1" above the serial number and an "L" with a "C" above and "4 9" on the barrel flats. I'm going to try & post some pictures. Are either of you coming to the Southern this weekend at Back Woods? I am & I'll bring it with me.

Best Regards, George

Bill Murphy
10-21-2011, 03:17 PM
The "L" would denote Laminated Steel.

Dave Purnell
10-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Hi George,

You have an interesting oddity of Parker production. I also have one #42732 which is a grade 1, 12ga with Dam-1 barrels.

Dave

Mark Landskov
10-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Are these ribs/serial numbers something that can be noted in 'The Parker Pages'? I know the rest of the numbers in the 'Pages' are usually the highest and lowest numbers of guns that meet certain criteria.

Dean Romig
10-23-2011, 08:44 PM
The "Parkers Found" section of Parker Pages can include 'first known', 'last known', 'only known', or be a gun with any characteristic which would be considered an oddity or a unique feature, or a number of odd or rare features, by the Parker Gun collecting community.

George Lander
10-23-2011, 10:52 PM
I took the gun to the Southern yesterday and showed it to Bill Mullins & Jim Kelly. The barrels appear to be laminated steel that have been blued. Everyone there agreed that not having the barrel steel named on the top rib was an oddity. I am thinking of having the finish of the gun restored and the bores honed as the tubes are very thick and the gun locks up tight.

Best Regards, George

Dean Romig
10-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Recently there was a Parker with Damascus barrels that the seller claims were rust blued and had "Titanic Steel" on the top rib done that way at parker Bros. in error.