PDA

View Full Version : Damascus barrel repair

Chip Beckford
09-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Hello, I have a question, do any of you have experience with fixing a bulge in a Damascus barrel? While visiting one of my wifes relatives, we got out the "family Parker" that they have and I noticed it has a bulge in the right barrel about 1 inch from the muzzle. It is Only a little bulge out the right side abour 1/8 of an inch. It is a nice shotgun other than that and was made in the early 1900's. Just looking for information on someone who may be able to fix it.

Thanks, Chip

Jay Gardner
09-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Chip,

Welcome to the Parker forum. Not sure where to start here but to answer your question, I have had Kirk Merrington work on damascus barrels and is is one of the best around. http://www.kirkmerrington.net/

Before you get too far downthe road you might want to find out what you have and make sure the gun is otherwide sound. Any chance you can post pictures of the gun so we can see the gun and the general condition?

Again, welcome

Jay Gardner

Steve Huffman
09-22-2009, 08:45 PM
I'll second that.

Chip Beckford
09-22-2009, 10:49 PM
HI, I had the information at home. I did get a factory letter. The shotgun was given to my Wife's Great Grandfather as part of a debt to him. It is a GH Hammerless ordered and delivered in Jan. 1903 with Damascus steel barrels, 26 inches long. It went back to Parker in Jan. 1904 to be cleaned rebrowned and re-stocked, and again later in Feb.1904 to be restocked again. It was fired supposedly with a slug by my Wife's cousin and that "caused" the bulge he says. I think from the looks of it that there was a minor obstruction. Since it has been in the family for over 100 years they want to ifx it. Overall in is in very good shape. Chip

Jay Gardner
09-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Then you should call Merrington - he's your man for the job.

Chip Beckford
09-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks Jay for the information I am going to contact the relatives and let them know and contact the man you recommended. Thanks again, Chip