PDA

View Full Version : Lifter Action Hammer

Bruce Day
10-12-2011, 04:50 PM
people sometimes wonder about what original case colors look like

These can't be right. Where are the tiger stripes?

SN 13722, U grade 12ga. Mint and believed unfired.

Bruce Day, Parker member since 2 o'clock

Dean Romig
10-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Maybe a different ingredient mix in making the charcoal?

Gary Carmichael Sr
10-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Bruce, I believe that the best colors come from a mix of the following. 3parts bone "only from the skeletons of virgins" 5 parts charcoal " from the cask of the very best bourbon" 1part salt peter "used in the earliest shot shells" 1 part "BS which binds it all together! What say you? Gary

Bruce Day
10-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Gary, everyone has their own recipe. I personally favor using only new old stock Pep Boys private stock 40 wt motor oil smeared liberally on the frame and burned into the surface by a Tru Value propane torch , with the frame locally heated to bright red. That technique results in interesting splotches of color, where the splotches are sized and shaped as if splashed by rare ruffed grouse droppings. It makes for an interesting restoration.

Chuck Bishop
10-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Bruce, you must have masochistic tendencies. You are just about certain to invite that Torcher to respond:banghead:

Bruce Day
10-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Wasn't he going off to the north woods with several of the others here for a week of togetherness?

Chuck Bishop
10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't remember. Maybe he's visiting his gunsmith Mr. Landers. I wonder if Mr. Landers and Miss Landers the teacher from Leave it to Beaver are related. Sure did like Miss Landers:whistle:

Bruce Day
10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
That's Master Gunsmith to you, Sir!

Dave Suponski
10-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Boy's don't rule out the fantastic colors obtained by using crude oil salvaged from oil spills. There must be some kinda special reaction that takes place with the sea water. The secret to this process though is that the metal must be heated by the use of a flame thrower only.