PDA

View Full Version : CH Flat Top Rib

E Robert Fabian
10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
I got my CH back from Dennis Smith who repaired cracked stock and re cut checkering and finished wood, I think he did a fine job, the checkering was a concern at my end, I wanted it to come out like it did, perfect. There was little checkering if any left in areas like the bottom of the ball grip. I have to get out and shoot it at the club, no more canoe rides for her now...a sure fire way to loose a gun.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to getting the top tang screw properly engraved?
Could fellow CH owners post pictures of screw engraving... this gun is around 1905.
The last is a before pic.
Also would like a picture of trigger guard screw.... the one on there has also been butchered.

Tom Carter
10-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Check out www.EnravingByNoelle.com. she has done work for PGCA members who have been very happy with her work. Cheers, Tom

Don Kaas
10-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Send the top screw to Geoffroy Gournet. He'll do it. I have a few Cs and Ds and the top screw heads are very similar if not the same on 'standard' engraved guns. I am sure "Mr. C Grade" Brother Day has a few photos ready to go. If not I'll dig one out of the safe and take a picture for you.

Bruce Day
10-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Here's a 1904 CHE.

The trigger plate screws are engraved the same as these. Your side panel screws are correct as is.

If you notice an anomolly in the immediate photo below, its that this gun was originally a no safety gun so it had the curved top tang. It was sent back to have the safety added, so the tang was ground flat and SAFE hand engraved.

Nice gun, Bob. Turned out very well.

Bruce

E Robert Fabian
10-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks Tom and Don.
Tom that link doesn't appear to work anymore ?
What would be the recommended way to correct the trigger guard screw... fix old one or replace... just trying to get my ducks in a row... if the old one can't be re engraved and look right I have to try and locate one.
Cheers Bob

E Robert Fabian
10-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks Bruce, they look like a D and look simple enough, I thought I had seen a C with the oval or tear drop in a circular pattern.

Tom Carter
10-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Bob, It is not a link. Copy and paste into your internet address. Cheers, Tom

Tom Carter
10-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Bob, I just noticed a typo. www.EngravingByNoelle.com should work. I leftout the "g". She does a fast turn around and good work. I didn't realize it copied as a link. Sorry, Tom

Bruce Day
10-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks Bruce, they look like a D and look simple enough, I thought I had seen a C with the oval or tear drop in a circular pattern.

I don't know what you mean by oval or tear drop. If you mean the circular side panel engraving , the roundell engraving , yes there are maybe 20% of C's from 1900 to 1905 in that style. The stock drop points are constant until the Rem era comes along.

And , to be anal about it, there are differences between C and D screws. The differences are subtle, but there. You saw the C screws above, they have radial lines in a short/long repetition. The D screws below are from a 1910 20ga gun, which is the closest to your year that I have in D's. They have radial lines generally in equal length, except for the TG bow screw which has an unusual center starburst. Now the B screws are really different, and there could be a whole PP article written about grade 5 and up screw head engraving. We could do that next annual meeting banquet.....that would have the ladies asleep in no time.

E Robert Fabian
10-10-2011, 05:02 PM
What I was trying to describe was engraving close to the center one Noelle did
here http://www.engravingbynoelle.com/engraving
Thanks for the pictures Bruce, I'll have something to refer to when I send the screw out.
Cheers Bob

Richard Flanders
10-10-2011, 05:55 PM
I hear you on the canoe ride thing. I lost a very nice Daly O/U off my canoe gunnels in a 6ft deep pool in a creek up here in late September once. Had to strip down and dive for it... Oh boy! I did some serious runnin around and dancing when I got out. Didn't hurt the gun at all. Just had to take it apart and dry it out. I'd put in and float this small creek jumping mallards then take out on a downstream road crossing and hitch hike a few miles back to my truck. I can tell you there's no faster way to get a ride up here than to walk down the road in hip boots with a pack full of ducks and shotgun broken open over your shoulder. Met some nice folks that way. I just hope that none of them went to where I told them I got the ducks, which was never 'quite' where I actually got them...!

E Robert Fabian
10-10-2011, 06:14 PM
It's a very productive relaxing hunt.... but can get dicey in those snags. Congratulation on the 50 dollar band I was luck a couple years ago and shot a 100 dollar duck, it's probably the only duck I ever ate that didn't cost 20 dollars a pound.
Cheers Bob

Dean Romig
10-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Bob, I shoot venison that costs 10X the price of your duck meat...

calvin humburg
10-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Nice gun Robert a true beauty.

Bruce, C grade SG Bernard in wood case, Sick (Slang from the youngens:cool:)

Chris Travinski
10-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Bob,
Did you buy this gun from Robbin Hollow? Great looking gun, I love the high flat ribs but you don't see them very often.
Chris

E Robert Fabian
10-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Yes Chris, the gun was bought by a friend and sold to me about a year latter. It had too many features to ignore one being it fits me very well and I think the Parker full checkered ball grip is a marvel.
Bob