PDA

View Full Version : Hammers are way cool

Bruce Day
10-03-2011, 02:58 PM
, as if you didn't already know that.

Steve Huffman
10-03-2011, 05:55 PM
There is a name for your problem its called Hoarding oh wait they changed that to collecting . I love em.

Bruce Day
10-03-2011, 06:20 PM
There are plenty of hammer Parkers available for those who want them. There are several on Gunbroker now. The purpose of these photos, as it is with most of my photos, is to generate collecting interest in others and further the goals of the PGCA . These particular ones are not mine, and I will post photos of mine later. These were the subject of a Parker Pages article written by Austin Hogan a while back, but new people and guests to this forum will not have seen them.

A student of hammer guns will see that hammer designs differ between grades, and also within grades. For example, all G hammers are not identical, so don't expect that if you are missing a hammer, that you can find an exact duplicate.

Added:

More hammers.

Dean Romig
10-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks Bruce, that's a really nice lineup.

It's nice that the Bros. Parker stamped the serial number on the back side of the hammers - that way your friend will be sure to put the correct hammer back on its respective gun.

This is the kind of thing that makes this forum exceptional! The sharing of knowledge and experience.

Bruce Day
10-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Here's a few more from the safe. A Parker writer used to call these "wallhangers" but other folks enjoy shooting them and think they are pretty neat.

Dean Romig
10-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Those examples are a far cry from what any of us would relegate to hanging on a wall... unless of course, that wall would be in the NRA Museum.

edgarspencer
10-04-2011, 06:14 AM
" WILL WORK FOR WALLHANGERS"

Austin W Hogan
10-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Remember that the combination of 110 year old wood with side locks can be pretty tender.
Best, Austin

David Weber
10-04-2011, 02:41 PM
I Like...

calvin humburg
10-05-2011, 07:48 AM
How about some other people adding some hammergun pictures to this. O to 250$ grades there all hammers.

Angel Cruz
10-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Here's are two samples of 0 grade.

edgarspencer
10-05-2011, 03:22 PM
This beautiful B grade lifter went for $4500 yesterday.
http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/catalog_detail_shots.asp?Details=38894&sale=308&lot=1269

Angel Cruz
10-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Now that's a nice set of hammers!!!

edgarspencer
10-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Angel, that's perhaps the highest quality grade 5 I have ever seen. It's just as well I wasn't there, or I'd have some 'splainin to do'

Angel Cruz
10-05-2011, 04:02 PM
You and me both. I don't think I could have passed on that gun. She's beautiful!!!

edgarspencer
10-05-2011, 04:08 PM
There was also a 250 Dollar Grade, but in my simplistic opinion, the B was nicer.

Bruce Day
10-05-2011, 05:31 PM
A terrific gun! A bargain.

edgarspencer
10-05-2011, 06:26 PM
After studying that grade 5 (studying is a polite way of saying I was looking at it like I used to look at Playboy) I discovered something I don't like about it, and now feel SO much better for not being the winning bidder. I guess it's just me, but I never really liked Prince Of Wales pistol grips.

Bruce Day
10-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Come on guys, there must be more than just three people that own hammer guns. One of the above is mine, one Angel's, then the others from a good friend who over the years has owned many.

Some other people own some very nice guns.

Here is an A grade:

Dean Romig
10-05-2011, 07:55 PM
After studying that grade 5 (studying is a polite way of saying I was looking at it like I used to look at Playboy) I discovered something I don't like about it, and now feel SO much better for not being the winning bidder. I guess it's just me, but I never really liked Prince Of Wales pistol grips.

In my opinion that is not a Prince of Wales grip ('semi' or 'half' pistol grip) but is a true "Pistol Grip" (not to be confused with a "Capped Pistol Grip") or on earlier Parkers, the range of which this gun is correctly in, a "Ball Grip" but the pictures in the Julia catalogue do not allow the correct angle to make the "Ball Grip" determination.

Dean Romig
10-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Once again...

edgarspencer
10-05-2011, 08:41 PM
In my opinion that is not a Prince of Wales grip
and you're right, I should have said that I prefer a capped pistol grip, as opposed to ball or POW.
I grew up using my one of my dad's Parkers, and he got his first in 1917, new from the company, which was about 2 miles from their home. Any other that he had, or that I was lucky to be able to afford, were that new or newer, and were either SS or capped pistol grip. I have a POW stocked Westley droplock and it doesn't "feel' right, hence my preference. Prior to the 16ga hammer I recently acquired, any other hammers were 10s or 12s, and didn't get the fire going. This 16 is what's gotten me as interested in hammers as I am, but you guys own all the good ones, so posting mine here seems insignificant in comparison.

calvin humburg
10-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Well I liked the stright grip 250$ grade even with the begal. The B grade was nicer but theres something about a dollar grade.

Dave Purnell
10-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Grade 1, 12ga, barrels refinished by Dale Edmonds.

edgarspencer
10-06-2011, 06:09 AM
In my opinion that is not a Prince of Wales grip ('semi' or 'half' pistol grip) but is a true "Pistol Grip" (not to be confused with a "Capped Pistol Grip") or on earlier Parkers, the range of which this gun is correctly in, a "Ball Grip" but the pictures in the Julia catalogue do not allow the correct angle to make the "Ball Grip" determination.
Dean, the top two, full gun profiles, give a pretty good view of the grip profile, and it appears to me that the inside radius is more open. Perhaps it is more of a distinction to the American Gun collectors, but it's my opinion it would be characterized as POW were it an English gun.

Dean Romig
10-06-2011, 06:13 AM
I guess we can agree to disagree. :cheers:

edgarspencer
10-06-2011, 06:33 AM
I guess we can agree to disagree. :cheers:
Sure, why not. Against my fathers advise, I spent 40 years puting too much $ in English guns, when (As is apparant from Jim Julia's yield) I should have been buying Parkers. I spose if I didn't have siblings, with their own children, I might still have more of his guns.
This will be a good topic at the pub, when I'm over there next trip.

Chuck Bishop
10-06-2011, 07:04 AM
1882 12ga Top Lever

Dave Suponski
10-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Thats a great gun Chuck and you shoot it well too.....:bowdown:

Bruce Day
10-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Wow, some great guns are coming out, turning into a participatory thread which is what the goal is.

Dave Purnell, we need you back. Thanks for showing.

Edgar, now doggone it, lets see some stuff, post some pictures.

Here's a B hammer lifter action with laminated barrels. Not mine. I have one hammer gun and would not have had that except for my buddy convincing me and he was right about how neat they are.

edgarspencer
10-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Edgar, now doggone it, lets see some stuff, post some pictures.

Sheesh, hang on, I'll get too it. This thread wanted pics of hammers, and I've posted, on another thread, a few of the only hammer Parker I have (well, I have another that I recently bought from Rich Anderson, but I haven't even seen that one yet as I asked him not to send it till I get back from Maine.) My stuff is a pretty eclectic mishmash of the various stuff I've accumulated over the years. I wish digital cameras were around when my dad was still around as he had some nice Parkers. My son has one of his, a DHE20, and one of my nephews has it's mate, only a few SNs away, also a DHE20. The others are just have a few VHE16s. I'm thinning out some of the Winchesters and SAAs, and they may just morph into Parkers.
yes, the ceiling is curved. it's not a camera distortion.

edgarspencer
10-06-2011, 11:03 AM
16 ga. grade 1

Angel Cruz
10-06-2011, 11:18 AM
My other 16 ga 0 grade

edgarspencer
10-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Angel, in your post that showed 2 guns that you described as grade 0, the 2nd gun appears to have the engraving comparable to what is shown as Grade 1 in the pictures of various grades on the home page.
My 16 is totally barren, which initially led me to believe it was a grade 0, but my historical letter called it a grade one. As Austin Hogan explained to me, the grade was based on the selling price, and because it was a 16, elevated it from 0 to 1. You didn't say, but what ga. is that gun? Have you gotten a letter on it that calls it a grade 0 ? Because if you do, if I thought I was confused before, I surely am now. It would seem to me it is a grade 1 at the very least, but if it's a bore smaller than 12, what Austin said would imply it would be a grade 2.

Angel Cruz
10-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Edgar, that's my 16 ga Lifter and the letter says Quality 0. The first time it sold was for 70.00.

edgarspencer
10-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Edgar, that's my 16 ga Lifter and the letter says Quality 0. The first time it sold was for 70.00. I give up. Mine also sold for $70, but has no engraving. Wanna trade?:rotf:

Angel Cruz
10-06-2011, 03:05 PM
I thought that would clear it up for you. As for the trade, with an LOP of 13 inches I don't think you can use it.
I'm a small frame 5ft 8 in. and I have a hell of a time shooting it. This got to be the smallest shotgun I've ever shot. I'm beginning to think the Dr who owned it was a small man, a woman or for his wife.

charlie cleveland
10-06-2011, 04:03 PM
angel i can shoot the shorter stocka better than i can the longer ones...im above average hight... you boys have some nice hammer guns...ive got 3 old hammer parker 1 8 ga lifter 1 10 ga lifter i 12 ga lifter all are o grade and just barely make shooter status...but i do like them old parker s in any shape or form....would love to have a 20 ga hammer guns but it seems like everbody dont trade them to often...everbody cant be lucky like bruce and find one in the chicken coop...if you can bruce please post a picture of this gun and give us a few of the details in the find.... charlie

Angel Cruz
10-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Charlie, I can't believe one inch would make such a difference but it does. My nose touches the back of my right hand when I'm in the fire position.

edgarspencer
10-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I'd tower over you Angel. I'm 5' 8 1/2.
You didn't clear anything up. I just don't understand how my 16 is categorized as a grade 1, with no engraving, and your 16, with engraving is categorized as a grade 0. Both were 70 bucks too. These are the mysteries of Parker that others speak of.
I'm not sure I can shoot as well today, as I used to, but I could shoot pretty well with almost anything at one time. Same with my dad. I wasn't ever an Ad Topperwein, but not bad for a country boy.

Angel Cruz
10-06-2011, 05:00 PM
:rotf: That's what I meant, clear as mud!!!

Dean Romig
10-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I'd tower over you Angel. I'm 5' 8 1/2.
You didn't clear anything up. I just don't understand how my 16 is categorized as a grade 1, with no engraving, and your 16, with engraving is categorized as a grade 0. Both were 70 bucks too. These are the mysteries of Parker that others speak of.
I'm not sure I can shoot as well today, as I used to, but I could shoot pretty well with almost anything at one time. Same with my dad. I wasn't ever an Ad Topperwein, but not bad for a country boy.

Austin is correct on grading Parker hammer guns by the sell price... the only problem with that (and he told me himself) is that some guns were discounted and the amount of the discount wasn't always recorded in the books - just the sell price.

Sometimes the type of barrel steel is a clue as to grade... but also not entirely reliable.

calvin humburg
10-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Well the best I can do at the moment, picture of my hammers. The gun is getting a facelift at the moment "moment not the best word to use :)" But I hate not to be in on a great hammergun tread. The very common stamped sidelock engraving.10769

edgarspencer
10-11-2011, 07:27 PM
We stopped off to visit friends in Union Maine last week, on our way up to Greenville. I took my 16 ga. lifter along and when Jack asked to see it, he decided he had something to add to the show-and-tell.
The bottom one is my 16, the middle his early 12ga. lifter (9??? sn) and the top was a nice 10ga TL, Grade 3.