PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Bore Condition

Brian Dudley
09-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Wondering about bore condition and what exactly is considered usable with low pressure loads. I mean, how much pitting is too much?

I know it is normal for damascus barrels to hold up better than twist barrels in the bore condition department. So my question really only applys to Twist steel.

I have yet to see many twist barrels that are not pitted. The only exception was an old hammer gun that I owned that had near perfect bores for twist steel. Can't remember the manufacturer, but it was an Iver Johnson or NR Davis or something like that. Name escapes me at this time.

Anyway... below are a few pictures of some parker twist barrels (not mine) and I was wondering if this type of a look is too far gone or not?
Sorry for the picture quality, don't know if you can tell much from them.

Pitting like this is what I would call "Typical" for twist steel, but only based on what I have seen out there. Am I correct in my thinking? Is this type of condition make it a true "wall hanger"?

Mark Landskov
09-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Brian, my 1877 Lifter 12 gauge had pitted bores. I mean PITTED! Brad Bachelder removed a ringed bulge, relaid the top rib and honed the bores. The 'Plain Twist' barrels really looked nice after Brad restored them. When he was done, the bores measured .755" with .104" wall thickness at 14" from the breech. I had him come up with a happy medium....remove as much of the pitting as possible, but don't leave me with a scary wall thickness! I shot my share of Polywad Vintagers in those barrels with no issues.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2044

Bruce Day
09-30-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't know anything about twist barrels being more subject to pitting than damascus barrels. I haven't heard that one before. A person may see more pitted twist barrels than grade 2 and higher damascus barrels, but that is because grade 1 twist barrels are far more common. Also, there is a general feeling among collectors that the higher the grade the more likely that the gun was cared for
and cleaned. Consequently, we see many high grade guns in high condition.

I can't determine much from the photos. Rough bores do not affect shooting much if at all. From what little I see from the photos, I don't see anything that would prevent me from shooting through those barrels.

Some people shoot low pressure loads through composite barrels. Others, including me, sometimes shoot fairly stout recoil and pressure loads. If you feel that you must limit yourself to low pressure loads, that would be your choice after considering the remaining wall thickness in your barrels.

Brian Dudley
09-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Well I was just stating that based on what I have seen on many lower end guns. Twist steel barrels seem to usually be in worse shape by way of pitting than higher quality Damascus barrels.

Dean Romig
10-01-2011, 03:02 AM
Wall thickness of barrels that are severely pitted should be measured very carefully and the depth of the deepest pits should be examined very closely. There has been talk of occlusions in the walls of composite barrels having the potential of being a weak spot where trouble might start. One or more deep pits in barrels that are pitted throughout might be an indication of such an occlusion.

Robert Rambler
10-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Here's an example of an inclusion as Dean mentioned. This is an 1895 Ithaca Crass with damascus barrels that were being cleaned up for reblueing. Initially just a small pit on the surface of the barrels, quickly grew into what you see here as polishing continued. Inside the barrels are bright and smooth,giving no indication of a fault. My guess is a piece of slag or a metal chip was hammered right into the tube as it was made at the forge.Before discovering this fault, I personally fired several hundred rounds throught this gun without a problem.
The inclusion is 5 inches from the muzzle of 30 inch barrels.

Bruce Day
10-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Inclusions and pinholes can be welded closed.

ed good
10-01-2011, 01:33 PM
bruce: so can the frame of a 1986 chevy pick up....however, there comes a time when you should send her on down the road to the rag and bone man...or...

briley full length tube sets are a wonderful thing.

Bruce Day
10-01-2011, 04:33 PM
If you find a nice damascus C small bore with a barrel inclusion that makes you nervous, send it my way, for a pittance of course.

Bruce Day, Parker rag and bone man