PDA

View Full Version : 16 on Teal

William Stevenson
09-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Today was the second to last day of the Teal season here in Louisiana. I took two friends out with me this morning and shot out of the mud boat as our regular blinds are not useable. We had about half as many birds as we had earlier in the season but we managed to scratch out our limits by 8:30. I shot a DHE 16ga repro this morning and was very pleased with the tight shooting Krieghoff barrels. 15/16 oz of steel shot seems to work well, with recoil not bothering my shoulder recovery.(rotator cuff surgery just over 3 months ago) I started the season with the DHE .410' went to the 28 ga, then to the 16. No shoulder problems yet. It was 66 degrees, clear with a light north/east breeze. I'll shoot solo tomorrow as my friends are going to ballgames and my grandsons are studying for tests. Bill

Dean Romig
09-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Be careful, and have a great day!

William Stevenson
09-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks, actually I won't be alone, my old chocolate Lab Belle will be with me, doing her usual good work. Bill

charlie cleveland
09-24-2011, 11:19 PM
how well did the 410 and 28 ga perform..glad the 16 ga done well on those ducks you sure dont have a very big target to shoot at...and them teal really fly fast..good shootin tommorrow.... charlie

William Stevenson
09-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Charlie, when I'm shooting a .410 or a 28 ga at ducks I put a flapper or decoy at twenty yards and try not to take shots beyond that marker. In fact I wait for the birds to flair or hover at that point in front of the blind or boat. I Don't think you would ever want to try pass shooting with these small gauges. The .410 only has 3/8 oz of #6 steel shot and the 28 puts out 5/8 oz so you pick your shots and let a lot of birds fly off without shooting. We are very fortunate here with our high duck count and can afford to be picky because another duck will be over the decoys in a minute. I hunt most days during the season and use the small gauges to make the hunt last longer and spend more time with my dogs. The 16 gives you a lot more help with a lot more shots and is an all around gun for just about all bird hunting situations. I limited out this morning in about half the time it takes me with a small gauge gun. The .410 and 28 shoot just as far as a 12 ga but the patterns are tiny, so this kind of shooting takes special conditions and may not be everyone's cup of tea. Bill

Gerry Addison
09-26-2011, 04:31 PM
William, sounds like you have a great place to hunt. If you are ever looking for a Steel Shot Special give me a yell. I have an unfired one that I will probably sell one day. Gerry

William Stevenson
09-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks Gerry, I've got a steel shot special with an English stock that matches the configuration of my other DHE Parkers. Your pistol grip gun will make a great hunting gun for someone who is not hung up on straight grip guns like I am. Bill

Richard Flanders
09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
I think teal with a 28ga would be fine hunting. You just have to do your part. Hunting every day.... most of us only dream of that.

William Stevenson
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Hi Richard, Teal and a 28 Parker are a great combo. I am fortunate to have a good sized marsh area on my ranch that really draws waterfowl. Is that a Super Cub on extended gear in your photo? What a great airplane, we don't need skis down here but we do put them on floats. Bill

Richard Flanders
09-27-2011, 09:04 PM
It's a highly modified PA-12 on 3" extended gear and an older set of Federal skis and does pretty well. Much roomier than a Super Cub.

William Stevenson
09-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Richard, I know what you mean about room, you sort of wear a Super Cub. Not nearly as much room as a 12. The wife and I flew ours to Alaska a few years ago, 8500 mile round trip. We fly a Husky now, a bit more room than a Cub. A cased Parker fits in all of them, I thought I would throw that in, this being a Parker site and all. Bill

Richard Flanders
09-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Husky's are nice... fast and a bit roomier than a Cub... but they've not really caught on with the hunting guides up here as much as Aviat hoped. You still just can not beat a Super Cub for performance. You just can't.

William Stevenson
09-28-2011, 12:04 AM
A light Supercub can't be beat for your mission in Alaska. It's low speed feel and handling will never be matched by a Husky. Having said that, the 20 mph advantage and Instrument capabilities of my Husky fit our ranch strip and trips to Houston, New Orleans, etc. My wife likes it's back seat better than the Supercub so I say " yes Mam".