PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy Of Parker Order Book Records

edgarspencer
09-24-2011, 02:39 PM
I received my letter for Parker 23243 today, and it confirmed what I feared; that the barrels had been cut down. The letter indicates that the order book showed this gun to have left the factory July 19th, 1882, with 28" barrels. I'm sure I'm shorter than I used to be, but I doubt the barrels shrank 4" on their own.

However, what I was convinced of, after spending a long time studying the pictures of the various grades, was that my gun was a quality grade 0. See my picture, and compare to the pictures on the PGCA main page for Grade 0 Lifter guns, and see if you agree with my assessment. What I am perplexed about is that the letter says the order book (Book No.11) indicates the gun as a quality grade 1, 16 ga. (it is a 16)
It seems pretty clear that a grade 1 had border engraving around the lock plate edge, a small bit of scroll work beneath the forward edge of the hammer, as well as simple bordering of the hammer.
This gun is a transition model with screw-retained firing pins, and there is a small rosette surrounding those screws.
What are the thought of the experts?

Dean Romig
09-24-2011, 03:09 PM
I've never seen that kind of engraving around the retaining screw on a Grade 0.

edgarspencer
09-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks Dean.That's somewhat encouraging. It's too bad the record book didn't give the build date (i.e. Mo & day) Then I would look to see if this was a 'friday' gun.

Dave Suponski
09-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Edgar, During this time period we see many "anomalies" between grades. Some things such as barrel steel type and basic features remain constant where as other things such as engraving patterns take on a life of their own. We have had many discussions about the low grade hammerguns trying to decide exactly what grade they are. Interesting stuff these mystery's. You have a great gun there enjoy it.

Austin W Hogan
09-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Grade is determined from the order books as a matter of price charged. A surcharge for a gauge less than 12 may have increased the price noted to the grade 1 amount. I have a 20 ga lifter which appeared to have been sold at a greater grade, but carried $15 of surcharges for gauge and extra drop.

Best, Austin

edgarspencer
09-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks Austin. While I hadn't heard it explained that way, it makes perfect sense. The letter from PGCA states that my gun sold for $70 in 1882, so I'd be interested to know what an equivalent quality (Comparable in finish detail) 0 grade 12 bore would have cost in 1882.
Your 20 Ga, lifter sounds spectacular. Is it also on an lightened 0 frame?

Austin W Hogan
09-24-2011, 08:00 PM
I once tracked down several price lists and extracted cost and barrel description. These are not complete, but do provide an input.

1881 T0 Twist $55 T1 Fine Twist $65
1882 T $55 P $65

The $55 and $65 prices continue through 1899 or later.

Surcharges; $5 pistol grip stock; $5 extra drop; $5 - $10 other than 12ga were noted on some price lists but not always applied.

Best, Austin

Gary Carmichael Sr
09-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Austin good to hear from you, hope you are doing well and are prepared for your northern winter! Regards, Gary