PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question on markings

Kermit Van Roekel
09-19-2009, 09:47 AM
I hoping for some help, the old story came true, found in attic, hadnt been seen for 50 yrs... double barrel SxS 12 ga, exposed hammers, stamped 1875 with serial number 51621, and D4...and a frame size 6 ( which is correct for the 12 ga). So, what I've found is everything except the D4. I think D is quality level? Gun's is great shape, clean...and I need to get it insured so a approximate value would be helpful- knowing condition is the great variable...thanks anyone! Kermit

John Dunkle
09-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Kermit!

First - welcome to the forum!

As well - I'm going to move your thread into one of the main discussion forums rather than the site help area, OK?

Anyway - welcome again!

John

Kermit Van Roekel
09-20-2009, 09:35 AM
John, Thanks so much....appreciate the guidance; first time in a 'forum' type program so feel free to move this! Kermit

Don Kaas
09-20-2009, 10:36 AM
51621 is not in the Serialization Book so only a check of the Parker records by a Research Letter request can tell you more. Your gun was made in 1887 and there are records in the PGCA database on your gun. I suspect the D 4 may indict (D)amascus barrels and 4 (lb) for the barrel weight rather than "D4" in Parker nomenclature which would mean a "C" Quality 4 grade Damascus barreled top lever hammer gun in this case. It is very unlikely that the gun is a 12g is built on the massive #6 frame on which is normally found an 8 gauge gun. 12 gauge guns of this era are normally found on #1 or #2 frames. If it is on a #6 frame your gun would likely weigh 12-15 lbs. Post some photos and more can be discerned.

George Lander
09-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Kermit: Don is correct. Your gun would not be a 12 gauge gun and built on a #6 frame. All of the guns that are in the serialuization book with serial numbers anywhere close to your are D3, or toplever hammer grade 3 guns with Damascus barrels in either 12 or 10 gauge. A PGCA Research letter will tell for sure. Your gun was built in 1887.

Best Regards, George

Kermit Van Roekel
09-21-2009, 06:16 PM
George, Don, thanks for your help! I'll have to take another look with a good light and maybe a magnifier ( age thing on my part).. make sure I know what I'm looking at....again-thanks! Kermit

Bill Murphy
09-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Post some pictures and we'll tell you exactly what you have. Is the "6" on the bottom of the rear barrel lug? What is the exact measurement between the centers of the firing pin holes. That will give us a clue about the frame size. What is the exact legend on the barrel rib.

Kermit Van Roekel
10-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Folks, I got over to my uncle's to actually view the gun vs their verbals and poor pictures and alas what I was told by relatives was far from accurate (not gun savvy). Stock broken in 2 places currently and one professional repair already, bores deeply pitted, and the breech lever had been broken and repaired by ' some guy with a welder'- not good. What I had hoped to latch onto was instead placed in the estate sale....so, thanks to all who tried to help me-truly appreciate all your collective wisdom and openness. You may see that serial number again! Kermit