PDA

View Full Version : Upland and Hammer guns

Jack Cronkhite
09-21-2011, 07:46 PM
I intend to chase some roosters and possibly some huns and sharptails with hammer guns this season. Would appreciate some advice from the experienced. Pass shooting migratory would give time to have an open action, close, cock and fire. A rooster under my feet is a different story. Is an open action upland hike considered the best way to go regardless? I'm thinking closed action and thumb at the ready to cock a hammer might be necessary but I'll be listening to the experienced.
Thanks
Jack

Rich Anderson
09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
I have tried to carry the gun cocked and open but the shells have a tendancy to fall out, some carry the gun closed, cocked with their hand placed between the hammers and the fireing pins. I think Dean does it this way. I use a pointing dog and can cock the hammers when I walk in to flush the bird.

Good luck with the Boswell this fall.

Angel Cruz
09-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the question Jack. I'll be going after quail in a couple of weeks and I'm also taking my hammer guns. And I was pondering the same question, I like Richard's answer since I'll be behind pointers.
And I'll get to use the Filsons I got from you.

charlie cleveland
09-21-2011, 09:29 PM
jack if im hunting with a hammer gun for whatever i always hunt with hammers down unless im hunting deer late in the evening then gun has hammers cocked and ready.... charlie

Rick Losey
09-21-2011, 09:39 PM
with rebounding hammers, and pointing dogs, gun closed, cocking the hammers as I pass the dog walking in.

I have never been able to honestly blame cocking the hammers for a miss,

note - I said honestly

Dean Romig
09-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Rich is partially right. I keep the hammers cocked and the gun open except when I'm expecting to make game. Then it is gun closed, hammers cocked, muzzles to the sky, two fingers of my right hand (I'm right handed) covering the trigger area so as not to allow a twig or branch to trip a trigger. I hunt ruffed grouse and woodcock and those birds don't give you but seconds to direct a shot at them. If I were hunting in the open - for pheasants, waterfowl, and any birds of the open prarie I would most likely adopt a different method.
Angel, hunting behind pointing dogs almost always allows one to carry his hammer gun open and even unloaded until walking in for the flush. That's when you can load and close your gun, cock the hammers with the muzzles pointed skyward and walk in.
I'm not advocating anyone use my method but it works well for me and my hunting partners seem to be quite comfortable with me. (They won't find a more safety conscious partner than this one.)

Jack Cronkhite
09-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks all. Hope to have some luck with a lifter, the Boswell and a newly acquired Bland. You know, I was perfectly happy with one family VH until I needed a new barrel set and PGCA showed up on my search. Oh well..........................
Cheers,
Jack

Austin W Hogan
09-22-2011, 06:43 PM
This should be practiced before you go afield.

I have found that if you cock the left hammer first, the gun can be mounted, cocked and fired with no lost time. If necessary, the right can be cocked as you move your hand forward for the front trigger. I shot skeet doubles this way for a while- only tore up a little grass.

Best, Austin

Angel Cruz
09-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks for that bit of advice Dean. I'm hunting behind someone elses dogs and I don't want to make them nervous just because I'm using a hammer gun.
Austin, you wait to have the gun mounted then you cock the right hammer?
thank you both...

Austin W Hogan
09-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Cock the left hammer on the mount, and the right between shots if necessary.

Practice this many times dry fire- it will quickly become automatic

Best, Austin

Angel Cruz
09-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks Austin!!

Jack Cronkhite
09-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks Austin: That seems a "natural" move to me, especially the second shot "if necessary" :):)

The opener is October 1. If I can get out, I'll make a report.

Cheers,
Jack

John Mazza
09-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Typically, the left barrel has a tighter choke (if there's a difference at all). That method would fire a tight pattern at the game first (when it's closer to you), and then send an open pattern out to meet the missed bird at a longer range.

...but that's what spreader loads are for.

I'm fortunate to own a petite German drilling (16 x 16 over 9.3x72R) that has hammers that I can actually cock simultanously. My Parker 12 g. hammer gun - that's an extremely difficult task; and with my Dougall hammer gun - that's an impossible task.

(Maybe I need a bigger thumb ?)

edgarspencer
09-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Typically, the left barrel has a tighter choke (if there's a difference at all). That method would fire a tight pattern at the game first (when it's closer to you), and then send an open pattern out to meet the missed bird at a longer range.

I'm fortunate to own a petite German drilling (16 x 16 over 9.3x72R) that has hammers that I can actually cock simultanously.
Talk about petite, I sold a cute little Krieghoff hammer sidelock 28x28x25WCF at the Vintagers a few years back. The rifle firing pin was fired by the left hammer, through and interrupter block on a lever.
Being a southpaw, all the rules go out the window, but I use the right barrel for the close-in shots, and use the left for the miss (more often than not on our partridge)

calvin humburg
09-25-2011, 08:03 AM
I would rather hunt with say with Dean with his cocked hammer gun than somebody who forgot to put there safety back on and think it is on. I hunt Dean's method with a added twist one day I was hunting new spot heavy fireweeds and came upon a trip wire fell that could start a serious accident now in heavy cover I hunt thumb on right hammer if I don't get him on the first shot well... my second shot is not the best. best ch

Dean Romig
09-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks Calvin :bigbye:

Say, I like your new avatar picture. What Parker is that? It looks pretty big...

calvin humburg
09-26-2011, 08:04 AM
N 2 frame 10 30" barrels "fishtail 10". Background, creek I grew up in, life slips away.

charlie cleveland
09-26-2011, 10:15 AM
looks like the creek you took me across calvin...and that old ten ga dont miss to often even though its hard to see abird falling through the thick smoke.... charlie

calvin humburg
09-28-2011, 11:07 PM
That would be the one charlie, right below is the beaver dam we crossed Thats the last day of season last year.

Jack Cronkhite
10-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Our opener was Oct 1. I have been unable to get out but took the afternoon yesterday and hit some of my favorite haunts. No birds anywhere. The sun had touched the horizon and I was into my final walk. CHARLIE got a bit birdy and I was walking the edge of stubble while CHARLIE was in the weeds. A young rooster flushed and I didn't practice enough before hand. I pulled back on the hammer but the spring was stronger than my thumb pressure, so I didn't get it cocked. There was about 10 minutes left and I made it to my last spot, a never to be divulged roosting cover where birds congregate for the night. Having seen only one bird all afternoon, I wasn't holding out a lot of hope. As I stood on the top of a long abandoned rail line grade (rails and ties long since gone), I surveyed the cover. CHARLIE didn't seem too excited but I convinced her to tackle the thorns and thistles. Out popped a couple hens and a long shot rooster that I passed on. A few more hens and then two roosters. I did have the hammer cocked and chose one rooster and he dropped like a rock. #7 Golden Pheasant 2 1/2" shot shell ensured a nice meal for tonight or tomorrow.

That was the damascus barreled Boswell doing its thing. It is an underlever and has no serial number. I have yet to determine vintage but it will be back in the 1800's. It was a delight to carry, very light. Straight stock but not quite as good a fit as my GHE, I have to adjust my sight line once shouldered.

All in all, a fun day that ended with one bird and an old gun that is in good shape got to see the field again.

Cheers,
Jack

charlie cleveland
10-11-2011, 02:41 PM
jack sounds like you had a good hunt...i do enjoy your posts of the hunt and especially the pictures..ive not got to get out much yet but plan too shortly... ive got an old jp claybrough and son that came from your neck of the woods.. its a 10 ga hammer gun its killed several squirls for me..keep them roosters flying.... charlie

E Robert Fabian
10-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Good job Jack, nothing like finishing a hunt like that.