PDA

View Full Version : For Jim ....

chris dawe
09-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Once again I must apologize for my photography,Ptarmigan opened today up here in Newfoundland...wind's were beyond brisk at 90- 100 kph,no hat, no glasses and hold your gun tight kinda wind!!!

The bird's were quite skittish but I did manage to scratch down a screamer from the dozen my DD pointed,the first outing for my C grade and it's new 16 bore barrel's,the shell's were gamebore 1oz of 7's.

Thank's to everyone who helped me with my gun...you all know who you are

Larry Frey
09-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Great pictures Chris and a really nice piece of wood on that gun.

Destry L. Hoffard
09-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Chris,

She came out nice for sure.

DLH

chris dawe
10-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I just got back from a few more day's of ptarmigan shooting,we got a total of 34 willow and rock's combined and good dog work and a good time had by all !!!

Rich Anderson
10-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Thats a nice looking gun for sure. Newfoundland is on my bucket list to hunt for Moose and Caribou.

Eric Eis
10-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Thats a nice looking gun for sure. Newfoundland is on my bucket list to hunt for Moose and Caribou.

And maybe some "Birds" too.....Combo hunt

chris dawe
10-02-2011, 08:49 AM

You should be able to get yourself a decent moose,but as to caribou they are on a brutal downward spiral ,I have'nt seen a good stag in year's nor anyone else who spend's time on the country...the one's in the photo's were the most I've seen in year's.
The last big stag that I personally seen was at least ten year's ago...it's very sad really, most local's blame the management system ,which is very poor here.Me personally, I don't enter the draw anymore.

But if you do make it ,look me up for a pint and a fish and chip's !!!

King Brown
10-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the report, chris. I was waiting for it. What is the berry in Pic 2? And how do you cook ptarmigan? I cook ducks the six-hour Newfoundland way.

How much walking do you do over the barrens each day weather permitting, leaving good times for yourselves?

Amazing that old stump there after how many years---50, 75, 100? That was a big tree for that environment when it died.

chris dawe
10-02-2011, 04:22 PM
How's it going King ?..the berry ,to be honest .....that one had me stumped as well but I do believe it's a underdeveloped partridge berry (lingon berry )

My favourite way to cook the bird's(breast only ) is slow heat in a coverd cast iron fry pan ,good olive oil and a dash of this or that to taste,other than that stuffed with savoury bread crumb dressing and plucked/roasted as a chicken.

A day on the barren's for me usually eat's up an average of 20km,the first few day's in are rough,but one eventually harden's to the country.(the dog's as well)

That tree truly was a brute for the enviroment,I coulden't hazard a geuss but your on the right track...not much grow's big up there.

By the way,how's the old VH working out ?

King Brown
10-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Waiting to get out, chris. Scouting. Not much around right now, a few teal and blacks. But the VH will get the honours this year. I look at it every other day. You turned a tough old coot into an elegant swan.