PDA

View Full Version : SN break point from Meriden to Ilion-

Francis Morin
09-17-2009, 03:50 PM
A friend has a family 12 gauge Trojan, believe was purchased in the 1930's. SN is 213917 and the rib has the Parker Trojan Steel marking, barrels are 28 and have the J.G. stamp in a circle- grade is marked OV- 4-1 weight stamp and in small case HT over the letter A- No Parker proof in an oval on each flat. This Trojan does not have the small top rib extension, it has the flat breech face as found on a M21 Winchester. My Brownell's boremaster shows right tube nominal BD at .730 with a 0.015" choke, left tube at .731 BD with a 0.025" choke. Gun has no colors left on receiver, stock shows years of wear, 80% barrel blueing, locks up tight and on face, safety and trigger mechanics are perfect--

On the graded Parkers, after the Remington purchase, they engraver PARKER on the bottom of the receiver (just back of the hinge pin area I believe) but this guns is not marked in that manner. Any insights would be appreciated, and passed on to my friend--:bowdown:

Erick Dorr
09-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Francis, If you check the manufacturing date by SN on the home page you will find the the gun is listed as manufactured in 1925. To early for a Remington gun.
Erick

Don Kaas
09-17-2009, 05:04 PM
The gun is a garden variety later production Trojan and was made in 1925, 9 years before the Remington takeover. Over 236,000 are usually Remington guns. All this information is easily accessible on this website.

Dean Romig
09-17-2009, 05:12 PM
However, if it has no "Parker Bros." on the the sides of the frame it may well have been an infinished gun in invertory after the Remington purchase of the Parker Gun Works in 1934. But that's nine years and it seems unlikely that a Trojan would have sat in obscurity in the Parker Bros. inventory that long. . . never say never?

The rib extension on the Trojan was eliminated somewhere around 1920 to 1923, probably earlier on the twelve gauge. I have a 1923 Trojan 16 ga. with the rib extension and haven't heard if anyone has a later example in 16 ga. 202066 is the serial no. on my Trojan.

Pete Lester
09-17-2009, 06:49 PM
"Garden Variety"? I would bet the the folks at Parker would have disagreed that their economy gun was of garden variety. I think it's true now as it was then, if you have a desire to acquire and shoot a Parker, any Parker, it shows you have discriminating taste IMO.

If this was never engavoed "Parker Bros" on ths sides of the receiver perhaps it was an "employee" gun that somehow slipped through normal inspection.

I can tell you that in 1984 when lead was still legal for waterfowling I shot my first two ducks with a Parker, a 12ga Trojan. After shooting an 870 for several years I was absolutely stunned by the range and performance with 2 3/4" shells in that gun. Two shots and I knew I had something quite special.

Don Kaas
09-17-2009, 07:32 PM
"garden variety"- something ordinary or standard...The Trojan in question sounds like an oridinary or standard Trojan made in Meriden, i.e. not a special Trojan. Parker likely lost money on every Trojan it made. I'm pretty sure an order for 10 D grades made Walter or Charles King a good deal happier than one for 25 Trojans...I shot my very first two ducks (a blackie and a woodie drake over a half frozen beaver pond near Epping, NH) 43 seasons ago with a Fox Sterlingworth 16 gauge but I am sure your moment with a Trojan was much more "special" than mine was...

Pete Lester
09-17-2009, 08:13 PM
I shot my very first two ducks (a blackie and a woodie drake over a half frozen beaver pond near Epping, NH) 43 seasons ago with a Fox Sterlingworth 16 gauge but I am sure your moment with a Trojan was much more "special" than mine was...

Don it most certainly had to be.......afterall you weren't shooting a Parker :knowbetter:

But then again my first two shots brought down a Black and Greenhead in Dover whereas you were in Eppin', known to locals as the Center of the Universe. :rotf:

Francis Morin
09-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks to all- I forgot to check the SN listing first. I loaned my copy of Peter Johnson's book on the Parker- but I thought he had mentioned the elimination of the top rib extension on the economy model around 1930. Also, this gun does have the Parker Bros. script style engraving on both side of the receiver, my question was, as later Remington graded Parkers often had PARKER engraved on the BOTTOM of the receiver, I wondered if they did that with the Trojan as well. The OV stamp on the barrel flats- was that used on all Trojans from 1915 through 1940 (aprox.) ??

I agree with those who proclaim the Trojan Parker as great shooting shotgun, no "frills" but that pair of ducks that were "dropped" whether by a Parker Trojan or a Fox Sterlingworth or later on, perhaps a Winchester Model 24- most likely weren't aware of the gauge or grade of shotgun that brought about their demise- the skill of the shooter and good gun fit nonwithstanding!!:cool:

Bruce Day
09-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Francis, yes and yes. An inexpensive (about $35) and good reference book for Parkers is the Parker Guns Identification and Serial Number book.

Francis Morin
09-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Francis, yes and yes. An inexpensive (about $35) and good reference book for Parkers is the Parker Guns Identification and Serial Number book.Thanks Bruce. The only other Parker references I have at present are Larry Baer's 1977 Parker Book and Mike McIntosh's 1989 "Best Guns"- with Mr. M's "slight bias therein" for the fine boxlocks from Phila. PA- his advice about "restoring a VHE and then wanting to sell it to get into a higher grade (page 268) applies to all good doubles (IMO) and also reflects his accumen at the poker table.

If this book you recommend is available through the PGCA network, I will purchase it soon-if not, I'll check the e-bay and other book sources. I realize that some of the information available to the late Mr. Johnson in 1959 has been updated greatly, and by hard work and diligence by many PGCA members. We all should be grateful for that, whether we own a PH 16 gauge or an AAHE 28 gauge-Thanks again!!:bowdown:

Bill Murphy
09-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes, later Trojans have "PARKER" engraved on the bottom of the receiver, but those guns are scarce and hard to find. I have looked for one in high condition for a long time but still don't own one.

Gregory Miller
09-18-2009, 08:17 PM
We all should be grateful for that, whether we own a PH 16 gauge or an AAHE 28 gauge-Thanks again!!:

:rotf:

While I admire highly engraved guns, I must admit that there is something elegant about a simple long barreled PH16 for a field gun. At just over 6 lbs they are fast and dynamic and yet not whippy. A little flourish of the engravers chisel and that wonderful balance. Same thoughts for a nice trojan.

Hope to see all those similarly afflicted next week at Pintail.