PDA

View Full Version : Heads-up Rock Island Auction

Paul Ehlers
09-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Just wanted to pass on some information on about a reproduction 16/20 combo that is going to the hammer at the Rock Island auction.

It looks like a pretty nice gun over all and if your interested in a 16/20 combo this could be the one for you. What I want to bring to everyone attention is this gun is shown with two forearms a splinter & a beavertail. Be aware that the beavertail is an after market piece of wood put on the original splinter fore-end iron. The splinter wood is the original to the gun, but has no iron with it. This combo set can be taken back to the original configuration if wanted by putting the splinter wood back on the iron.

The other thing I noticed is in the description of the gun it mentions that the 16ga barrels are 26". Looking at the pictures you can tell that they are probably the 28" that all 16ga barrels were to my knowledge.

Just some information so those who check in here can be informed of what they might be bidding on.

FYI, I have no connection to this gun. This is just some things I picked-up on looking at the RI catalog.

http://rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/53/lid/629

Enjoy and have fun!!
Paul

Greg Baehman
09-09-2011, 12:43 AM
It appears that Rock Island Auctions intentionally underestimates their pre-auction estimates to attract more bidders, is this technique customary with other auction houses?

Robin Lewis
09-09-2011, 09:22 AM
The auctions I attend seem to estimate the price range where the gun sells. I think to low ball the price may get the sells there but it runs off the potential seller. If I took a Parker 410 in to sell and they estimated it at a low value, I would be inclined to walk away and talk to other auctioneers. Conversely, if they estimate it high trying to attract the sellers and they don't get the expected price, they lost me again.

I think from the sellers point of view, it is a sign of a good auction house when the estimated range is hit most of the time. Without sellers, there is no auction. I suspect auction houses have more trouble finding good sellers than good buyers, so they need to keep the seller happy. Accurate price estimates do that.

Rex Northen
09-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Is it really that low? At the high end of the estimate $3750 plus 17.5% is $4400+... It doesn't have a case (+$300-$400) and the 16 gauge barrel set is noted as having scratches... Pay for shipping and buy a case and you're not far from $5k...

Rex Northen
09-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Did anyone notice what it sold for?