PDA

View Full Version : Colt 45

Bruce Day
09-07-2011, 12:37 PM
No its not ghetto malt liquor and its not a double, its a sextuple, so Dean, here it is.

SN is a 1904 gun. An old west gun that probably shot a bunch of rattlers and broken leg horses and cattle and being from southern New Mexico, probably carried for safety against the border banditos and Villalistas, oh wait, that is still happening . Shows a lot of carry and handling wear. I suppose its called character.

Bruce Day

aging Yankee Air Pirate and know nothing Parker neophite.

Eric Eis
09-07-2011, 12:45 PM
I like that gun, look at the grips they have been gripped thousands of times the checkering worn very nice gun with a lot of history..

Bruce Day
09-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm sure it was carried by the Mexican bandit in Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

"Badges??? I don't need no stinkin badges!!"

Dennis V. Nix
09-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Bruce, I also really like the gun. I have an 1899 Colt SAA in 32-20 that is a great shooter, very accurate. Also one in .44 Special and a couple in .45 Colt. They do make a beautiful revolver. May I ask who made the holster. The holster and belt may be more valuable than the gun and it looks like it is in great condition. There is a book out that is all about old western holsters. I can't remember the name right off but it has great photos of some pretty valuable leather. Good luck shooting the new guns.

Bruce Day
09-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I also have a newer (3rd Gen) Colt SAA 45 and we have shooting contests with it at lunch breaks it when we get groups together for pheasant hunting. Folks who are unfamiliar with these guns think they will kick a lot and they don't. They also learn to hold low.....aim for the belt buckle.

The old holster is not marked . I suppose it was locally made, given the Mexican silver peso and crude copper buckle with peseta.

I understand about collectible gun leather. Here is a newer Colt 45 with H H Heiser VL&A holster.

Jeff Bonadurer
09-07-2011, 09:06 PM
That's a beautiful example of the durability of the Colt SAA.
Your revolver was an everyday tool and it shows, aged pretty darn good.
Thanks for sharing the photos Bruce.

Kind regards,

Jeff

Richard Flanders
09-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Nice old Colt Bruce! Hard to even imagine how many times that gun has been pulled from the holster and fired. Colt SAA's rank up there in my top 3 preferences in gun collecting, along with Parkers and big bore Winchester lever guns and Hi-walls. I only have one SAA - an NRA commemorative .45LC that I bought when you couldn't give them away. I had the gaudy barrel and walnut grips replaced and had them give it the "gunfighter" trigger job. I've not used a slicker and smoother SAA aside from a well worn 1st gen gun. Shoots like a dream. Unfortunately, it's now worth so much as an original NRA gun that I'm hesitant to shoot it and may put the original bbl and grips back on. No pistol is as much fun to shoot as a nice SAA .45. I dispatched a marauding black bear with mine years ago. Very effective...

Jeff Mayhew
10-30-2011, 12:41 AM
The holster and belt may be more valuable than the gun and it looks like it is in great condition. There is a book out that is all about old western holsters. I can't remember the name right off but it has great photos of some pretty valuable leather.

Dennis, I was perusing my gun book library this evening and ran across the book I think you are referring to. It's "Packing Iron" by Richard C. Rattenbury. Great book on Old West gunleather.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/spikeismyname/packing_iron.jpg

Dennis V. Nix
10-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Jeff, that is indeed the book I was thinking of. I just couldn't remember the name. Don't EVER get old. It seems to affect many body parts including the mind. At any rate it is an excellent book and has excellent information. Thanks for the information. I returned home last night after going to WY and CO to fill my freezer with antelope and deer to find your message.

Jeff Mayhew
10-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Don't EVER get old. It seems to affect many body parts including the mind.

Excellent advice, although a bit too late for me!

Glad to hear your hunt was successful.

charlie cleveland
10-30-2011, 11:26 PM
yep good advise but a lot to late for me..
.. charlie