PDA

View Full Version : Win 1892 25-20

Bruce Day
09-06-2011, 07:37 PM
I was given two wonderful gifts by an elderly Air Force friend, a 1904 Colt SAA .45 and a 1910 Win 1892 in 25-20. I appreciate that an elderly man giving away his guns is akin to a woman giving away her diamonds.

I have attached photos of the Winchester. My friend is originally from Havre Montana and he obatined this gun years ago in Great Falls. When he got it the stock was cracked and screwed as shown. With a Parker I would take out the screw, cover and disguise the hole and superglue the crack. I would not refinish any part of the gun. I assume the same holds true for a Winchester such as this. However, in an abundance of caution, I am checking to see if anyone has any counter thoughts.

By the way, the Colt comes with its ancient hand tooled leather hoster and cartridge belt with Mexican silver dollar concho. It's seen some use and was obtained in southern New Mexico.

Thanks,

Bruce Day, unrepentant Yankee Air Pirate and novice Parker apprentice.

charlie cleveland
09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
fine little rifle the 25 20 is a great little round.. believe i would let the screw stay in the gun for sentimental reasons only.... charlie

Jim DiSpagno
09-06-2011, 09:24 PM
If the Winchester is going to be used frequently, then I would search Ebay for a replacement stock. They are easy enough to change out. The .25-20 round is a nice close-to-medium range varmint or small game round but larger than coyote,
you had better be a perfect shot. Try to find a Colt SAA in the same caliber and you have a nice trail combo and they are just plain fun and cheap to shoot. Have fun and enjoy them and fondly remember the gift giver and his time with them.
Keep the old stock to put back on when you rare done using her on a regular basis.

Dennis V. Nix
09-06-2011, 11:51 PM
I think you will have a very hard time finding a Colt SAA in 25-20. Countless numbers were made in another excellent cartridge, the 32-20 but not in 25-20.

Bill Murphy
09-07-2011, 07:14 AM
I buy ammunition for my '92 in 25-20 from Aardvark Ammunition. They have just received a run of new Remington brass and have loaded the first batch in several years. Aardvark sets up at our local Chantilly, VA show. I recently purchased a box of 50 for $37.00. They will reload your brass for a reasonable price also. Don't shoot collector 25-20 ammo, it's too valuable. Google "aardvark laboratories ammunition".

Bruce Day
09-07-2011, 09:45 AM
thank you Bill. I have a partial old box of Rem 25-20, but have ordered a couple boxes from Aardvark. My friend, now 86, used to shoot deer with it by hitting them in the head.

Eric Eis
09-07-2011, 10:01 AM
thank you Bill. I have a partial old box of Rem 25-20, but have ordered a couple boxes from Aardvark. My friend, now 86, used to shoot deer with it by hitting them in the head.

He must have been on hell of a shot....

Bruce Day
09-07-2011, 10:13 AM
He was a meat hunter and waited until they were close at the salt block or corn, so he told me.

I use a 30-06, which will knock a medium size deer down even if if I can't hit them precisely.

Eric Eis
09-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Bruce where are the pictures of the Colt...

Bruce Day
09-07-2011, 11:20 AM
So, Bill, the box of cartridges I have is almost full, maybe even full, I didnt count, and is a Rem Kleanbore, "non corrosive priming" and marked $9.20. Are these considered antiques, collectible or just old bullets?

Eric Eis
09-07-2011, 11:47 AM
So, Bill, the box of cartridges I have is almost full, maybe even full, I didnt count, and is a Rem Kleanbore, "non corrosive priming" and marked $9.20. Are these considered antiques, collectible or just old bullets?

COLLECTABLE

Bill Murphy
09-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Recent Ward's auction: Same Remington box, excellent condition, 49 rounds, $74.00 plus shipping. Same Remington box times two, full, very good condition, $99.00 plus shipping. The Ward's results are kept on their website until the next auction starts.

edgarspencer
09-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Be still, my heart.
Colts and Winchesters have been a large part of my gun collecting, and in particular, 1892 Winchesters and 1873 (SAA) Colts. Over 150,000 of the Colts were chambered in .45 Long Colt, and 29 other calibers, but there's no record of there ever having been one in .25WCF (25-20)
Winchester Introduced their 1873 lever action the same year that Colt brought their revolver out, initially in .45 Long Colt. Very shortly thereafter, Colt offered the revolver in .44 WCF (44-40) as a complimentary sidearm to the 1873 Winchester, offered in .32WCF (32-20) .38WCF (38-40) and .44WCF. It just made sense that the man on the horse wanted to carry one cartridge. There has long been a "story" that a representative from Colt insulted a representative from Winchester at a dinner, and that Winchester decided never to offer the 1873, and the later 1892, also a pistol chambered rifle, in .45 Long Colt.
The Colt revolver was quite expensive in comparison to other guns of the times, such as Merwin & Hulbert and others, so it was generally the lead wrangler, or trail boss who was lucky enough to have a Winchester and a Colt.
I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to shoot your '92 with the screw in the stock. There's very little recoil to the .25-20.
Is your Colt stamped U.S. on the left side of the frame just behind the patent dates? If so, and has a 7 1/2" barrel, it's refereed to as a Calvary model. If it has a 5 1/2" barrel, it is referred to as an Artillery model, though many Artillery guns were factory modified from Calvary models. The vintage of the Colt is such that if a Martial gun (stamped U.S.) you would be well advised to get a Colt historical letter. (Compared to the PGCA letter, they're expensive) There are many blocks of serial numbers in that era that have huge significance, such as Rough Rider guns (typically $40k and up) Still, the intrinsic value, that your friend thought enough of you to be their bext custodian is more than money.

Bruce Day
09-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Edgar, its not US marked, barrel length is 4 3/4" and SN is 248,997.