PDA

View Full Version : Short Ten Crow Killin'

Pete Lester
09-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Yesterday started with change of plans on where to hunt. Distant thunderstorms were lighting up the sky in two directions but no thunder could be heard as we walked out to the field. Armed with my 1893 NH (left) and Scott with his 1889 EH (right) we put out a dozen or so decoys and turned on our two callers. Action was steady for the 3 hours we hunted. Many singles and doubles flew into their final resting spot as the big guns barked. We each had a 60 to 70 yard kill which always brings a big smile. Several times we had groups of 5 or more come in to see what was going on, each group paid a price. At one point a migrating flock of ravens, a large flock, the likes of which we have not seen before descended on our position. We had at least 25 of them over us. Following them in and then mixing in with them were a handful of crows. I shot one crow out of all the ravens which I studied up and down and then sideways to be sure before shooting. We had 28 birds down and were picking up. It was real hot and we were down to our t-shirts for the job, guns in hand. As we were picking up I looked up to see 5 birds heading our way I kneeled down and yelled freeze. Caught in the open, Scott in a bright blue t-shirt was kneeling motionless. They kept coming. I told him when I go to shoot they will be straight over your head to behind you. I stood up, clocked one, he got another which I anchored with my second shot. Morning total, 30 birds. Scott said he picked up two more on the way home. A real good day for early September, definitely a few new birds in the area. I had four doubles with my NH, shooting way over my head! LOL

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj57/nhshotgunner/100_1013.jpg

Dean Romig
09-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks for your keen identification of those ravens... I love those big birds. Their range of vocabulary never ceases to amaze when I'm deer hunting in Vermont.

Destry L. Hoffard
09-06-2011, 05:54 PM
One of the greatest predators of duck eggs in the world. Any waterfowler who doesn't kill every one he has the chance at doesn't hold the his hunting in very high regards. We usually pick up a crow or two over the pigeon decoys down at home but this year we never saw the first one.

Destry

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
09-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Crows Crows Crows They come to idaho in the winter by the thousands. I know the farmers would love to have some of them destroyed. They are a real nuisance in the downtown area they crap all over everything. Thomas

Richard Flanders
09-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Ravens are smart beyond comprehension. I have many stories of this from my years with my raven buddy "Poe" on the north slope of Alaska. I hand fed that big guy a lot of steak over the years and he knew me from others no matter how I dressed. Anyone wishing to read about ravens should find two books - Mind of the Raven, and Ravens in Winter - by Bernt Heinrich, a fellow who researched them. They make crows look like the 3-stooges as far as smarts go. They are indeed very efficient predators. In our bird research up north we looked for redpoll nests and found 42, all cleaned out by predators, which seemed to be ravens. They are good. I watched Poe take a ptarmigan away from a small falcon one day. He had lunch then dismantled it and stashed the pieces in 4 different places then later came back and restashed them when a herd of caribou started walking over the spots where he first stashed them. I could go on for hours with stories. They are indeed incredible birds. Here's a pic of Poe waiting for his lasagna breakfast...

Francis Morin
09-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I've been out a few times for our MI "early nuisance goose" season- weather and standing crops play a big effect on your shooting, and usually mornings when it is cooler are best- I have always carried a few Winchester 12 steel 1 oz. no 7 loads to finish off a close range cripple- and on several farms where I also shoot pigeons, I am taking NO chances on having a lead load, just in case I get checked by the Raccoon Rangers afoot- this past Tuesday- newer spot on a regular farm, lotsa barn pigeons and the farmer said the Geese usually came into the pasture with a seep creek after lunch-

So he sent me to another section about a mile away- he has a few head of beef cattle, some standing corn, meadow and two beaver ponds and a winding seep creek, lotsa brush and trees for cover- Dead oak tree was loaded with crows when I parked by the gate just past the standing green corn- they never moved when I walked past down to the pond area- saw enough prints and poop and feathers to tell me the geese were using- so I set up and waiting- good call- took two geese (all I want) and then loaded the M12 with those No. 7 1 ounce steel loads- got three crow singles, two dropped in the pond- I had camo and was in the shadows-- and I'll kill every crow I can while I'm out for waterfowl- they kill more nesting bird eggs than any other varmint- after the early goose season ends the 15th- from then to the 30th- I'll go back to more serious crow shooting- decoys- standing corn, ambushing- I just hope the steel shot rumor is just such!!:bigbye:

Mark Landskov
09-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Ravens are not common here. The ones I have seen were pert near the same size as a Common Loon! Lotsa crows, though. There is actually quite a cult following in regards to crow hunting AND eating! The Crowbusters website is an interesting place for crow info, especially the fact that they are the number one carrier of West Nile Disease. Yuk!

http://crowbusters.com/

Francis Morin
09-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Crowbusters Inc or Ltd. I just got my invite to a DU sponsor banquet-- and I can see why Pheasants Forever decided Not to follow the "Unlimited" scenario as did Trout Unlimited- who would want to tell anyone they're going to a PU fundraising banquet-- But crows-- a CU banquet- roast and flamble crow medallions on toast points with a fine Mogen David and a giant &^%$ sandwich (ref: Kubrick's movie FMJ on that one)-- And commissioned wild crow paintings- i can just see a David Maass- "Snarlin' In" as the black "bustards" are wingin' into a roost scenario- what next- ?? I keep a low profile on all the crows I kill (and after Jeff K. had to pull a previous post I made here with some rather "gruesome" tips from many years and study of Burt Popowski and others-- but my annual average kill/cripple- who cares- a crow out of commission is a good thing indeed, and you'll never kill 'em all (and let Ma nature sort out the good from the bad and the ugly in the next life anyway)--But 450 to 500 would be a good close guess-My Model 12's w/o 3 shot plugs work best- and AA 12 skeet no. 9 shot- crows are all fuss and feathers- no body mass- for barn pigeons I go to No. 8's- Bon Appetit!!!:bigbye::bigbye:

Pete Lester
09-09-2011, 11:31 AM
I just hope the steel shot rumor is just such!!:bigbye:

Non Toxic shot became law effective January this year for shooting crows under a federal depredation permit. The non-tox shot requirement does not apply (yet) to the regular crow season.

John Dallas
09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Hmmm. I asked that question of a Conservation Officer who was helping me at a Hunter Ed class, and he said that there was no requirement for non-tox.

Pete Lester
09-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Hmmm. I asked that question of a Conservation Officer who was helping me at a Hunter Ed class, and he said that there was no requirement for non-tox.

What can I say John, a Conservation Officer who doesn't know the law especially a recent change regarding non-toxic mandates doesn't know his job. This is a change to federal law, it applies to all states.

http://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/12/02/2010-30288/migratory-bird-permits-removal-of-rusty-blackbird-and-tamaulipas-mexican-crow-from-the-depredation

Authority:
Migratory Bird Treaty Act, 40 Stat. 755 (16 U.S.C. 703); 95, 92 Stat. 3112 (16 U.S.C. 712(2)); Pub. L. 106-108, 113 Stat. 1491, Note following 16 U.S.C. 703.
2. Revise § 21.43 as follows:

§ 21.43 Depredation order for blackbirds, cowbirds, grackles, crows, and magpies.

You do not need a Federal permit to control the species listed in the table below if they are committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner that they are a health hazard or other nuisance:Show citation box
Blackbirds Cowbirds Grackles Crows Magpies
Brewer's (Euphagus cyanocephalus) Bronzed (Molothrus aeneus) Boat-tailed (Quiscalus major) American (Corvus brachyrhynchos) Black-billed (Pica hudsonia).
Red-winged (Agelaius phoeniceus) Brown-headed (Molothrus ater) Common (Quiscalus quiscula) Fish (Corvus ossifragus) Yellow-billed (Pica nuttalli).
Yellow-headed (Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus) Shiny (Molothrus bonariensis) Great-tailed (Quiscalus mexicanus) Northwestern (Corvus caurinus)
Greater Antillean (Quiscalus niger)

(a) You must attempt to control depredation by species listed under this depredation order using non-lethal methods before you may use lethal control.Show citation box
(b) In most cases, if you use a firearm to kill migratory birds under the provisions of this section, you must use nontoxic shot or nontoxic bullets to do so. See § 20.21(j) of this chapter for a listing of approved nontoxic shot types. However, this prohibition does not apply if you use an air rifle, an air pistol, or a 22 caliber rimfire firearm for control of depredating birds under this order.

John Dallas
09-09-2011, 03:30 PM
What does "In most cases mean"? One could interpret that to exclude Corvids.

Federal Register I looked at makes no mention of Non-tox:

Title 50: Wildlife and Fisheries

CHAPTER I: UNITED STATES FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (CONTINUED)

SUBCHAPTER B: TAKING, POSSESSION, TRANSPORTATION, SALE, PURCHASE, BARTER, EXPORTATION, AND IMPORTATION OF WILDLIFE AND PLANTS (CONTINUED)

PART 20: MIGRATORY BIRD HUNTING

Subpart L: Administrative and Miscellaneous Provisions

20.133 - Hunting regulations for crows.

(a) Crows may be taken, possessed, transported, exported, or imported, only in accordance with such laws or regulations as may be prescribed by a State pursuant to this section.

(b) Except in the State of Hawaii, where no crows shall be taken, States may by statute or regulation prescribe a hunting season for crows. Such State statutes or regulations may set forth the method of taking, the bag and possession limits, the dates and duration of the hunting season, and such other regulations as may be deemed appropriate, subject to the following limitations for each State:

(1) Crows shall not be hunted from aircraft;

(2) The hunting season or seasons on crows shall not exceed a total of 124 days during a calendar year;

(3) Hunting shall not be permitted during the peak crow nesting period within a State; and

(4) Crows may only be taken by firearms, bow and arrow, and falconry.

Pete Lester
09-09-2011, 03:33 PM
John as I think I explained in my reply to Francis the Non-Toxic mandate for crows applies only when hunting them under a Federal depredation permit. Lead is still legal for crows shot during established hunting seasons for crows, but who knows for how long. Your referencing the federal law as it applies during established seasons, my reference is the change to non-tox for depredation permit hunting.

This is the camels nose coming under the tent in regard to increasing mandates for use of non-toxic shot. The old adage about boiling the frog by turning up the heat slowly applies. Lead is not very "green", lots of young do gooder types want to ban lead as part of saving the planet.

Steve McCarty
09-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Here in Central Oregon we don't have crows, but we have hords of ravens. I live in the wild and watch the wild life all day long. Eventually one becomes connected with the critters. Ravens are smarter than most people, certainly smarter than me.

Birds have been around a very long time and over the eons they have developed a certain brilliance. Our feathered friends can hear and smell as well as a dog. They remember and adapt. Just watch them.

I'll kill a goose and a mallard, but as for the winter divers? Can't bring myself to do it. I watch them raise their young. I watch the ravens dive onto their nests. Am I an old softy? Okay, I admit it. Ironically, I love nothing better than shooting ducks and always have. But jeeze....it's a puzzlement.

Francis Morin
09-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Here in Central Oregon we don't have crows, but we have hords of ravens. I live in the wild and watch the wild life all day long. Eventually one becomes connected with the critters. Ravens are smarter than most people, certainly smarter than me.

Birds have been around a very long time and over the eons they have developed a certain brilliance. Our feathered friends can hear and smell as well as a dog. They remember and adapt. Just watch them.

I'll kill a goose and a mallard, but as for the winter divers? Can't bring myself to do it. I watch them raise their young. I watch the ravens dive onto their nests. Am I an old softy? Okay, I admit it. Ironically, I love nothing better than shooting ducks and always have. But jeeze....it's a puzzlement.--Yup Coridae are smart birds-let a farmer walk his field and they'll flap away and maybe perch in nearby trees- but if the man is carrying a gun- and they see him- adios.:bigbye:

Destry L. Hoffard
10-02-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm not seeing many crows around here this year, I'm wondering if there's been another round of west nile in the area this summer.....

Destry

Steve McCarty
10-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Anyone who has hunted crows knows that if you don't have a gun they'll roost in the trees or on bales of hay all around you and flip you the feather. Show up with a gun and you can't get within 400 yards of one. If I want to kill crows I shoot them with a rifle. A 788 in .222.

Pete Lester
10-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Here is the George Digweed, the world's best shotgunner killing crows consistently at ranges most of think of as impossible. A couple of days ago he set the long range clay pigeon record breaking birds with one shot at 120, 125, and 130 yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAWU-0RX-6g

Dean Romig
10-08-2011, 05:08 PM
When they start yellin' to each other in the tall pines at my place in Maine at about 4:45 A.M. I just step out on the deck with a black handled broom and they scat like their tailfeathers were on fire :cool:

I don't think my lakeshore neighbors would appreciate a volley of gunfire at that hour.

Steve McCarty
10-08-2011, 05:33 PM
When they start yellin' to each other in the tall pines at my place in Maine at about 4:45 A.M. I just step out on the deck with a black handled broom and they scat like their tailfeathers were on fire :cool:

I don't think my lakeshore neighbors would appreciate a volley of gunfire at that hour.

If I hear shotgun reports early in the morning I smile and go back to sleep. Then I make plans to be out there the following morning.

Same goes for the sound of jet aircraft. It puts me into a deeper sleep. I flew jets and love their sound today.

Dean Romig
10-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Some of my neighbors on the lake don't share my enthusiasm for guns and gunfire.

I'm 22 miles north of Boston and Logan International Airport and when the air is right I can easily hear the reverse thrust of those jets upon landing... let alone that we have almost continuous jet traffic throughout the day and night. I could easily do without that too.

Steve McCarty
10-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Some of my neighbors on the lake don't share my enthusiasm for guns and gunfire.

I'm 22 miles north of Boston and Logan International Airport and when the air is right I can easily hear the reverse thrust of those jets upon landing... let alone that we have almost continuous jet traffic throughout the day and night. I could easily do without that too.

I have a similar problem along the little river my cabin sits along (is something dangling?). Luckily I can legally hunt birds within a mile or two of my home and along the same river. Oregon's government is dominated by liberals while the population, at least in Central Oregon, is pro gun, pro hunting. liberals have passed no gun laws here and there and I happened to live on one of those places.

Sad.

charlie cleveland
10-09-2011, 03:42 PM
a friend of mine was coon hunting the other nite..about 1 in the morning the dods finally treed a coon thed been running for over 2 hours...bout the time my friend and party arrived at the tree they had company...a man that lived about a half a mile away came up riding a 4 wheeler with his gun and told the dogs owners to get them there dods outta there for there loud barking had woke him up and he did not like the dogs making so much racket...i guess what use to be music to some has become not so musical to others...enough said the owners snapped chains on there dogs and led them to the truck..even coon hunters and dogs barking bother some people...what are we to do.... charlie

charlie cleveland
10-09-2011, 03:44 PM
ps ive been waiting for that fellow who trys to run me off my qwn land.... charlie

Francis Morin
10-09-2011, 04:02 PM
ps ive been waiting for that fellow who trys to run me off my qwn land.... charlie It's a sad fact of life today, but a true one- we are in the minority, those of us who love the land, guns, dogs, hunting and grew up with friendly rural neighbors that never posted or closed their lands to other neighbors or friends. I was shooting woodchucks about 5-6 years ago- May- on a family farm where I've been not just an invited guest to shoot, but to share meals, coffee, process deer- etc. Some 'hired hand" with a God complex drove up to my parked Jeep and tried to tell me a fairy tale that only he now had permission to hunt. A short 'come to Jesus meeting" with the farmer set that load of crap straight. Here's what concerned to me however.

I do have a CCW and sometimes carry, but never when I have a rifle or shotgun and am out afield. I was standing there on land I had written and documented permission upon which to hunt whenever I chose to (within the legal seasons of course) and this idiot comes out unarmed and full of &*^^ and vinegar. I was holding my Dad's old M70 SG in .220 Swift, not my first choice for a CQC weapon, but this idiot was obviously on drugs (he later lost his job) and must have gotten out of the bed on the wrong side that morning. End of story- But--he had some heavy tools in the back of the JD gator- if he had picked up an axe and come at me with it, I am not sure what I might have done, in self-defense. Laws and courts and juries are hard to predict too- so, be careful.

I have some 12 empties for you- also a 12 BA turkey gun which I will cover in a PM to you- stay well, and keep muzzles on those Walkers- not as much fun however as a "Full cry" pursuit--:bigbye:

Steve McCarty
10-09-2011, 07:55 PM
I was a college kid. Me and a few buddies were camping along the Yuba river near Downyville, CA. We looked across the river and saw a rock face with a doorway carved into it. We took off our shoes and socks and waded across. Slippery, cold.

When we got the mind door we opened it and stepped inside. We walked back maybe 30 feet. At the end we saw drill bits and football sized chunks of quartz rock. We each picked one up and turned to leave. When we stepped out into the sunlight there was an old guy there and a women who was some younger, but no fold out. The man held a shovel. The women said the mine was hers, she had inherited it and that she'd never been inside. The man told us to drop the rocks, and then he made a move to attack us with the shovel.

I was wearing a pistol on my hip. Not a big gun, a Ruger Bearcat that I'd paid $36 for the day I turned 16, which was how old you had to be to buy a pistol in Calif in those bygone days.

The man was taking aim at my buddy, the smallest guy, when the lady saw my gun, which I was still holstered. She said something to the old fellow and the matter changed immediately. All of a sudden I had the hammer. We dropped the rocks and waded back across and that was that.

If I had not packed that pistol? Well, who knows.