PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice Would Help

Kevin Clark
09-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Hey folks, I have a Parker on hold at a local gun store. I've spent some time on this site to try to learn more about the gun and its value. According to the serial number the gun was manufactured in 1913. It's not overly ornate, so I believe it must be a lower grade, but what concerns me is that it has a two toned laminated fore end. I understand that many Parkers were customized at the factory, but I have not seen this on any others. Could this fore end be original? Planning to take it apart today to learn more, but my hold ends today. Many thanks!

Rick Losey
09-05-2011, 10:11 AM
you will find pictures of the various grades on the home page, and photos that show where to find the grade marking on the watertable.

"laminated"? like a modern rifle stock? the original fore end on a 1913 would have been walnut.

Eric Eis
09-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Sounds to me that you need to walk away from that gun. It sounds as the gun has been messed with and you don't have the knowledge to know what is original and what is not. There are a lot of Parkers out there and unless this one is a "Steal" and I mean steal (200 to 300) walk away until you know a good Parker from a messed up one. Just my thoughts Eric

Russ Jackson
09-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Kevin ,Does the " Local Gun Store " Have a web site where the gun might be listed with pictures ,we could take a look and someone here would be able to help I am sure ! Eric is giving you good advice ,there are Belgian made guns with Parker stamped on the " Sidelocks " and such that are not " Parker Brothers " guns and are extremely difficult to sell and virtually impossible to recoup your money ! Also as Rick has already said ,check out our Home Page and compare this gun to the numerous pictures you will find on our Grades Page ! Best to You ; Russ

Kevin Clark
09-05-2011, 12:11 PM
The fore end seems to be composed of 3 pieces of wood running parallel to the barrel as seen from the bottom. The outside pieces may be walnut, but the middle is a dark, nearly black, wood. Sounds like probably an after market piece. There's probably some wisdom in Eric's advice. I have admired friend's Parkers for years but know very little about them. I just stumbled onto the gun and I'm probably feeling a bit impulsive The gun is $1,050 and seems to be in better shape than most of the guns I have seen on line for comparable prices.

Eric Eis
09-05-2011, 01:22 PM
"If" it is a Parker at that price the forend should be original not pieced together. Do you know what grade it is comparing it to our home page graded Parkers.

Russ Jackson
09-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Kevin ,If it were me , and I had Friends that have owned Parkers ,I would take one of my Buddies along and have them give me a first hand opinion ! Russ

Kevin Clark
09-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Also good advice. I'm going to take a look in about an hour. I'll take it apart to confirm that it's a Parker and if so see what grade it is. I'll take a pic and post it, and let you know what I decide. Thanks!

Eric Eis
09-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Post the picture before you decided.

Kevin Clark
09-05-2011, 07:43 PM
I've decided not to purchase the gun. After studying it more closely, it's definitely a Parker Brothers Trojan, but I do not believe that the forend is original (nor is the butt pad). It was very tight and operated smoothly, but I'd like all original. I've posted 2 pics taken with an ipad so they're not very good. I would still be interested in finding an entry level gun if anyone has any suggestions for where I might start looking. Thanks again for all the help!
Kevin

Mark Ouellette
09-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Kevin,

Post the serial number and a member will check it against the PARKER GUN IDENTIFICATION AND SERIALIZATION book, otherwise known as "The Book".

A DH in otherwise good condition with a who knows what forend at $1050 is probably a good buy. A fair condition GH with the same forend is not worth the money. The book will tell us the grade, options, gauge, barrel length, and stock configuration that the gun left the factory.

Mark

Kevin Clark
09-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks Mark, I would still like to know more about it. The serial # is 164445.
Kevin

Mark Ouellette
09-05-2011, 08:21 PM
16 gauge 28" barrels, pistol grip, no options, Trojan grade.

The barrel length given by the book is very handy. If the barrels are shorter they have been cut!

Dave Suponski
09-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Kevin, It's not uncommon to see Trojan grade guns with rebuilt/repaired forends.

Brian Dudley
09-06-2011, 12:03 PM
When he mentioned 1913 low grade Parker, I was thinking Trojan. That would be a first year Trojan.
Hard to tell in the pics what is up with the forend. Looks more to me as if the two black strips were painted on or something. The checkering pattern is not correct for a Trojan either. Trojan would have had jsut a simple diamond.
I agree that $1050 is a bit high for a non original shooter like that.

Richard Flanders
09-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Good decision Kevin. Congrats.