PDA

View Full Version : crimp made a diff.

calvin humburg
09-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Been loading short 16's never could get a crimp I liked using the 8 star. So I had about 15 out of a 100 left and thought maybe the 6 might work better and it did wish I would of started sooner think I can keep tweekin it and end up with something pretty neer tolerable. Any ideas on getting them better would be welcomed. 10268

charlie cleveland
09-04-2011, 02:41 PM
nice lookin crimps i believe you got it down to a fine art now... charlie

Keith Parrish
09-04-2011, 04:10 PM
What reloader are you using? I like those 6pt crimps. The 8pt's look to need some adjustment to the cam if you are using a mec loader. just a hair's adjustment to the cam can mean the world of difference to the final crimp.
I thought they were crazy when I heard of this but when I tried it I found out I was the crazy one for not believing them.

calvin humburg
09-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Keith, I fiddled and fiddled just couldn't get it right Had a few 8's that looked good but that all. It's a 600 jr. Tinkered with cam, final crimp height, wad pressure.... finally said uncle didn't do anything when i put the 6 on and that is what they looked like. They were new hulls. ch

Keith Parrish
09-04-2011, 05:03 PM
That may be it... them being new and all. SHOOT those 6's look great. I too have problems with my 8's but manage to get a good box out of 75. the other 50 I take and bang when we are shooting clays. It's all in good fun. I want to find a good 16ga or 20ga gun for I only load and shoot 10's and 12's.

Paul Harm
10-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Sometimes that center hole in the crimp can be closed up by making your start crimp tighter so the top of it is almost touching. This has worked for me a number of times. I have an adjustable charge bar and because I shoot a lot of clays, I try to save money by going down in shot. Now shoot about 3/4oz in the 12ga. This takes a little fitteling with wads, shot, and adjusting the crimps. Play with the start crimp and see if it helps. Paul

Chuck Bishop
10-26-2011, 02:53 PM
What were they new? 6 or 8 star? Many of the cheap hulls originally had 6 star crimps. The 6 star hulls don't like to be made into 8 stars.

Jack Kuzepski
10-27-2011, 06:04 PM
PA SXS,

A lot of times when you purchase new unfired hulls they come straight wall (without any crimp lines) and when you start crimping is when the crimp lines are formed. So what you have in the press at that station is 6 or 8 point is what the shell will become.
You are right, that a hull originally with a 6 point crimp doesn't crimp well with an 8 point starter and vice versa.

Jack Kuzepski