PDA

View Full Version : Restoration help

Chip Beckford
09-15-2009, 11:44 PM
I have a 16 ga. Trogan that heeds the metal restored. It has discoloration on the barrels and frame. The wood is great, and it looks like it was left in a wet case and someone tried to get the light "rust' off. There are no real pits on the barrells but they need to be refinished. The bores are excellent. I want to restore the gun and am looking for suggestions.

Thanks

M.D. "Chip" Beckford

John Dunkle
09-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Hi Chip!

Let me pop this out of the Help forum and into the restoration forum for you, OK? As well - welcome to the PGCA Forum!!

John

Destry L. Hoffard
09-16-2009, 11:56 AM
A full restoration on a Trojan will cost quite a bit more than the gun is worth. You might think about just getting the old girl cleaned up a bit and using it for it's intended purpose.

DLH

Chip Beckford
09-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi John, Thank you for putting this on the other site. Chip

John Dunkle
09-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi Chip,

My pleasure! As well - I think Destry has a good point. For example, recently we bought a Trojan done by a very respected restoration house for $1350. We know the guy had close to $2000 in restoration fees. In any event, we sold that same Parker for less than he had into it - as the market at that time for restored Trojans wasn't that strong and is probably similar today..

Anyway - the cost of restoration will really depend on the amount of work you want done? But - for well known restoration firms - I'd say the $2000+/- is about what it would take (depending on a LOT of things!)...

Since the wood is good by your description - maybe start with the barrels being reblackened - and then see if you still want the receiver, TG, forend parts, etc.. done afterward? So - if it's still on-face and tight -that could be an option?

John