PDA

View Full Version : Silvers....Spur or not

George Blair
09-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Would the stock of a Parker made in 1900 with a Silvers pad have a spur? Thanks, George

Dave Suponski
09-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Yes it would George...:)

John Farrell
09-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Is there a source for a replacement 1 1/2 frame spur butt plate that I have to replace? I tried one from Galazan and it was way oversize with a spur that was too small. JF

Dean Romig
09-01-2011, 10:36 PM
If you're talking about the Galazan Silvers pad with the spur, I had the same experience... the spur was way too small.
I got an damaged original 'hard rubber' (gutta percha) butt plate and filed, sanded and epoxied just the correct sized spur to the silvers pad and it fit the inlet in the buttstock with no alterations to the wood.

Patrick Lien
09-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Is there a source for a replacement 1 1/2 frame spur butt plate that I have to replace? I tried one from Galazan and it was way oversize with a spur that was too small. JF

John,
Here are before and after pics using a Galazan pad. Lots of removal of material to fit and black acraglass to fill out the spur.

Patrick

Bill Murphy
09-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Thank you, Patrick, for your pictures and information. Unfortunately, no Silvers pad or any other pad will fill the void of the Parker "Rubber Butt". You either have to trim the end of your stock a bit or use black acraglas to fill the void. I would rather fill the void with black acraglas than trim the stock. That is an easy decision. By the way, I use the Griffin and Howe reproduction Silvers pad in preference to any other Repro or even an original because I started buying then in quantity in 1986 and always keep them on hand. They are excellent and age and color very well.