PDA

View Full Version : WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

Gary Carmichael Sr
08-31-2011, 10:22 PM
For a while I have been comparing a 12ga A grade hammer gun with damascus barrels to a AHE 12ga with steel barrels. Well they are both beautiful pieces, but I believe the older hammer gun has an up on it's younger sister. The workmanship and engraving especially on the hammers is outstanding and must have taken quite a while to execute. Now not to say the engraving on the AHE is anything less than spectacular, I think I have to lean towards the old hammer gun. Believe they took a little more time and the craftsmen were proud of there work! Which would you choose? No you could not have both. Gary

E Robert Fabian
08-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Not having the two guns to compare I would have to go with the hammer gun.

Jeff Kuss
09-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Gary,
I am bias, but I would choose the hammergun.
Jeff

David Holes
09-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Parkers are an addiction, hammer parkers are even a worse addiction. They are beautiful with them hammers sticking up. Dave

Robin Lewis
09-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I agree, hammer guns .... and I am addicted.

Rick Losey
09-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Of all the guns (that I actually could have purchased) that I have passed up over the years - the only one that keeps me rethinking my decision was a Parker hammer gun.

Thanks for opening the wound :rotf:

I too love well sculpted hammers framing the grouse I am about to miss. I think it was Gene Hill who said that he couldn't shoot good at least he could look good shooting.

David Dwyer
09-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Garry
Hands down-the hammergun. They have an elegance found on few other.

John Truitt
09-01-2011, 11:02 AM
From another point of view.

If I had to do it all over again. I would only own Parker hammer guns.
From a clay shooters perspective they are more reliable, more easily fixed/ repaired, and just plain cool.
IMHO it is the Parker hammer gun that is the "Old Reliable".
Not to say anything negative about the hammerless guns. Everyone knows I love them. But for me the hammer guns have proved much more reliable and easily repaired when need be.

Mr C,
Hands down the hammer gun.

John

Bill Murphy
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
I would choose the hammer gun. However, lucky for me, Linda chose the AHE, so both will reside in the same safe. Where do we send the checks?

Dean Romig
09-01-2011, 10:53 PM
For many reasons I would choose the hammer gun. They are just wonderful in every respect. I am working on an article which may appear in DGJ featuring a very special Grade 6 hammergun - wait til you see the pictures of this one!

That being said, Larry or Deb (depending on who you are listening to) Frey has a fabulous Grade 6 (might be a 7) hammerless that blows my mind. The only Damascus Parker I know of with engraved wedges on the barrel breeches.

It's just so hard to decide but I lean toward the hammergun, all else being equal.

calvin humburg
09-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Yup, something about a hammer gun. Maybe I get mine back someday low grade but still...

Gary Carmichael Sr
09-02-2011, 11:34 AM
You know, it does not matter what grade it is, They all have that wonderful "click " when cocking the hammers. If it were possible to shoot blindfolded you could not tell the difference in a grade 6 or a 0 grade. They function the same. Well I guess you could "feel" the engraving and checkering, sort of like a beautiful woman! Gary

Rick Losey
09-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Well I guess you could "feel" the engraving and checkering, sort of like a beautiful woman! Gary

hmmm -just where do you hang out? :nono:

Dave Suponski
09-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Gotta agree with ya Gary. I think I would have to go with the hammergun.

Robin Lewis
09-05-2011, 09:18 PM
A friend just sent me this picture, hammer guns have such great lines.

Dean Romig
09-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Robin, I wonder if "a friend" would be kind enough to show another picture or two of those wonderful barrels? I've seen composite barrels like those before but they're few and far between and were only fitted to higher dollar grade guns of the period.

calvin humburg
09-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Boy Robin thats what dreams are made of! I like thoes fireing pins the best but The big round ones are just a .0000 behind.

Jeff Kuss
09-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Robin,
You are killing me!
Jeff

Robin Lewis
09-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Robin, I wonder if "a friend" would be kind enough to show another picture or two of those wonderful barrels? I've seen composite barrels like those before but they're few and far between and were only fitted to higher dollar grade guns of the period.

These are 3 shots of the Laminate bbls on the B Hammer Lifter

Dean Romig
09-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Hmmm... seems I've seen that same pattern on a certain C grade lifter.

Very, very nice.

Robin Lewis
09-06-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't think so? Here is the C lifter I think you are talking about. Do you think it is the same?

calvin humburg
09-06-2011, 07:24 PM
WOW!!! C lifter don't suppose you would adopt me.

Dean Romig
09-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Yes Robin, I think the barrel tubes are constructed in the same method albeit they appear slightly different, in part due to the refinishing method that may have been done.

English Laminated according to RevDocDrew.

(Same "friend" supplied this pic)