PDA

View Full Version : Restock of my GH straight grip

Brian Dudley
08-30-2011, 09:29 PM
I am soon going to be starting a restock of my Parker GH 12g #2 frame with straight grip. So I figured I would document the work in this thread.
This guns buttstock has seen much better days and unfourtunately fell into the hands of someone who did not know what was what by way of this work. There is a very large and poor repair on the left side of the action. They could have at least matched the direction of the grain.
And the stock and forend is sanded way too much so that all traces of checkering are gone and all of the metal is proud. The finish is nice though.
Here are some current pictures.

Dean Romig
08-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Are you doing the work yourself Brian?

Bill Murphy
08-31-2011, 09:21 AM
I don't know how it's done, but I have seen guns that were "proud" and now they're not. It must have something to do with matching epoxy but it has to be easier than restocking and maintains originality somewhat.

Brian Dudley
08-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Yes, I will be going the work myself. Will be an ongoing project inbetween all the other things I have to do.

Larry Frey
08-31-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't know how it's done, but I have seen guns that were "proud" and now they're not. It must have something to do with matching epoxy but it has to be easier than restocking and maintains originality somewhat.

Bill,
I recall a post by Jeff Mulliken a few years ago where he actually soaked the head of the stock to swell the grain and it apparently would dry that way allowing for some increased thickness around the frame. I never tried it just repeating what I read.

Brian Dudley
08-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Soaking or steaming will raise the level of the wood to an extent and can help with ding or dents, and maybe if the wood has been sanded to low to some extent. But believe me, with this original stock of mine, I don't think there is any helping it. I have a blank of walnut that is pretty darn close in both color and figure that I plan to use. I will be posting pics of it soon.

Brian Dudley
08-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Here are a few pictures of the blank that I plan to use on my GH. It is from my stock of walnut. Air dried for 20+ years. All the trees were 200+ years old easy.
This piece has a bit more curl in it than my original stock, but it is close to consistent with some of the G grades I have seen. Just a bit nicer. Color once finished could be pretty darn close as well. I did another stock out of the same slab of wood and the color is right where I would want it for this project.

Dean Romig
08-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Brian, that is a great piece of walnut for your GH project. I don't think it is over the top and in fact is a tad less dramatic, for lack of a better adjective, than the stock of a 1903 GH I once had with original wood. It should be a nice looking Parker when you're done.

To keep the value of your restocked Parker up where it should be, pay extremely close attention to every detail of the checkering of grade 2 hammerless Parkers of the very same vintage as yours and copy the style exactly. We see so many restocked and recheckered Parkers that exibit very poor adherence to the original checkering style and, in my opinion, this greatly detracts from the gun's value.... greatly.

Brian Dudley
09-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I agree on the stock blank. A bit fancier than my original but not as nice as a few other G's that I have seen. I originally had another one set aside that had some more curl in it and with a bit of crotch figure in the one side, but I decided it was a bit too much for it to be "Correct".

Thanks for your advice on the checkering. That is something that I WILL pay close attention to when it comes time. I have found a few photos of GH straight grip guns for reference. They are not too common to come accross. It does not help that my checkering is completely gone.

I still have to confirm things like lines per inch and pointed or flat topped diamonds, but I have time.

Brian Dudley
10-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Got the stock duplication done. I just used the pattern for my #2 frame trojan. I checked the inletting and fit against the original G stock and it was pretty darn close. So I figured that since the dimensions of the Trojan pattern were perfect for me, I would just use that one and save myself the time of setting up the original G stock on the duplicator. Plus the original stock was a bit short for my liking.

After it was done, I just removed the little bit on the bottom form the pistol grip and I was all set. The pictures show it after most of the machine lines were rasped out of the butt area. I put some alcohol on it to better show the color.

And since the my pattern had the proper curve to the back of it, all I will have to do is inlet for the spur at the top of the buttplate.

Ed Blake
10-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Do you own a duplicating machine? Very nice wood.

Brian Dudley
10-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Yes I do own the duplicator. It is a Radar Carve unit. Works pretty good.

Brian Dudley
12-22-2011, 08:36 PM
I figured an update on the GH was in order.

Dave Suponski
12-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Very nice Brian. I am impressed....:bowdown:

John Havard
12-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Extremely nice Brian. Thanks for sharing and taking us along with your project.

Justin Julian
12-25-2011, 12:11 AM
I agree with all the other comments...the stock is looking great. Who did the case colors? A bit more yellow than one typically sees on a Parker, but very attractive just the same.

Brian Dudley
12-25-2011, 09:22 AM
I am not sure who did them. I have a separte thread going on that topic.

Brian Dudley
02-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Here are a few updated photos. I am working on finishing up the french polish on the buttstock.
The photos are in outside natural light so the color of the wood is true. All other pics I took inside made the wood look lighter.

Justin Julian
02-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Brian,
Is the finish purely french polish, or is there some other type of oil under the french polish? (you can't post a pic of such nice work and not expect to be asked your secrets!) Keep those pictures coming. I know I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing the checkering.

Brian Dudley
02-05-2012, 03:31 PM
That photo was after an application where the linseed oil was still wet. It shows up glossier that then it will end up being when finished. I just picked up some japan drier so that should speed things up a bit on coats. All it is is two coats of permalyn sealer. Then an application of Shellac mixed with cornstarch to fill the pores. Then just coats of the french polish on top of that.

Justin Julian
02-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Brian, do you have any checkering photos of this gun to share yet?

Brian Dudley
02-27-2012, 08:41 PM
No, not yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks or so. I have been doing some checkering and other work. Just not on the GH yet. I actually just go the finish 100% done last week.

LarryAngus
02-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Brian,

After you got your basic pattern from the Trojan and you shaped down the pistol grip, tell us more about the rasping steps. What number/type of rasp did you start with and finish with before you starded sanding.

If I am using the incorrect wood working terminology please correct me.

Brian Dudley
02-29-2012, 10:17 PM
My favorate tool is just one of those hobby rasps. It is flat on one side and curves on the other side. One end has a course rasp and the other end is a finer file. I got it from Sears, but they can be found many places. I have other files and rasps that I use as well, but I find this one to be my go-to tool for shaping. The rasp is good for hogging away the wood and the file is enough to smooth out the heavy scrapes, or remove small amounts of wood. Then I work with sandpapers. Scrapers do work well also.

I have every intent to closely document one of my stock jobs and post a full tutorial on it.

LarryAngus
02-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks Brian we will all look forward to the tutorial. I actually have the two of the four in one files. Between the four-in-ones and several other files I inherited from my father in law I should have everything I need for my upcomming project. I also have a practice stock to experiment on before I get started.

Can't wait to see the checkering on your GH.

Tom Carter
03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Brian, Please check your PM's. Thanks, Tom

Art Bensheimer
03-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Brian: I'm a new member and have been refered to you as the man who might help me with a new stock? I have DH in need and also a brand X Ithaca crass I need a stock/forend. Can you make something for me. Thanks Art