PDA

View Full Version : Twenty Gauge Guns With Exposed Hammers Ha

Austin W Hogan
09-14-2009, 10:54 PM
At this point we have found three twenty gauge Parker guns with exposed hammers to be displayed at the annual meeting. If you know of any others we would welcome them for the Parker PagesDisplay.

Best, Austin

Dean Romig
09-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Are any of them as early or as small as yours Austin?

Is yours the only "rabbit gun"?

Austin W Hogan
09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
One earlier but not smaller.

Best, Austin

Bruce Day
09-16-2009, 09:54 AM
So I believe we have two lifter 20's and one top lever hammer D grade 20. Wonder who has the other known top lever 20? The one where the damascus barrel was replaced by fluid steel and gold engraving added?

Should be a treat and I look forward to seeing them together, Austin. We are working on documentation of the provenance of the pretty little top lever hammer 20 and will have something to exhibit. Significant Parkers.

Bill Murphy
09-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I guess the Damascus Grade 3 top lever is #45,852. If not, that would be another.

Paul D Narlesky
09-16-2009, 11:10 PM
would qualify or are you speaking of higher grade guns only? His Parker is (now this is from memory) a plain Parker with twist barrels and little engraving 28" length Serial is I can't remember 1880's I think. The beauty of the gun is the milled out water table and its trim lines... The gun is just a wallhanger because of hard use and sanding of the stock wood.. at one time I thought it might be worth restoring. My Dad had it in his collection for the longest time. I think it was one of the guns he got from the Flood estate (as in Floodlight) at Woodside, California. while doing some work there. As a kid I could handle it with permission and it was not too big for me shoulder. Compared to the 12 gauge 32" Hammer it was a flyweight! Have fun everyone! Best,Paul

Austin W Hogan
09-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Paul ; We are looking for any twenty ga gun with exposed hammers
So far, the survival of lifters seems better than that for top actions.
Best, Austin

Bruce Day
09-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Who knows, Paul? They are rare and desireable. I'm not much for restoring common Parkers but this might warrant the work and expense . Photos would help. Sounds interesting.

Harry Collins
09-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Some years ago I saw a 20 gauge toplever with twist barrels at a gun show in Lexington, Kentucky. He wanted $3,000 for it and it was in rough shape. This prompted me to purchase a 20 gauge Parker with "Steel" barrels for $1,500. The gun had been monoblocked by LeFever and was in very good restored condition except for being a litle loose and having a cracked stock (the stock had been cut and glued to take the drop out of it). Some years later the "Book" came out and I discovered that my 20 gauge had started life as a 16 gauge. So my gun does not count....

Harry

Austin W Hogan
09-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Harry; I have a pretty down trodden P hammer that was fitted with a set of Vulcan barrels. I sawed a slice off the top of the comb through the butt to add about 5/8 of an inch to the drop at comb. The hammers were gone so I replaced them; a C on one side and a D on the other, from some things I obtained from Oscar's estate. If you can't have the originals, have some nice ones; and you can't see both sides at the same time.

I have put about 10,000 rounds through this gun, with a little help from Lawrence DelGrego. It is more fun to shoot than anything I have ever had. When I am on, it shoots 22 - 23 at skeet even though it is still choked M and F.

That looks like a really enjoyable gun that you have. Hope to see you at an event again.

Best, Austin

Paul D Narlesky
09-22-2009, 11:14 PM
I will get some pictures of the little 20 Toplever Hammer gun my brother has and The serial #. I actually thought it might be saved. I got the other little gun from Dad,a W&C Scott in about the same configuration(also from the Flood estate) 20gauge 28 bbl hammers had an engraved goose on one side part scroll on the other. It was very similar to the Parker but also in rough shape. maybe worse. The other gun I have, and has been mentioned before is a 32 bbl grade 2 toplever, on a #1 frame.Made in 1882, it is in much better shape and has a great engraving on bottom that looks like a woodcock. It is standard but still nice ! I sometimes think how nice that bird would look on a later G grade gun. Safe travels to all of you who are heading for the big show and good luck shooters ! Best,Paul

Harry Collins
09-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Austin,

I too enjoy shooting the little hammer Parker as much as any gun I have had with the exception of Papa's 20 gauge Trojan. It is the one I shot at the Southern and was able to take a trophy with. Rich Anderson kept ragging me about shooting from the small gauge station and we had alot of fun that day. I miss seeing all you fellows and have wanted to come to more events. Things just arn't a rosey as I would have hoped for.

Harry

Dean Romig
09-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Things just arn't a rosey as I would have hoped for.

Harry

Harry, I hope you can take some small comfort in knowing you're not alone in that.

Best, Dean