PDA

View Full Version : *One For Austin Hogan...

Christopher Lien
08-18-2011, 12:13 AM
While on my way to a secret fly-fishing haunt on an old friend's property, I encountered this new warning sign next to the gate... I was successful in crossing without bloodshed, but the later return trip across this field as daylight faded to dark was very interesting... There's no doubt in my mind our resident veteran angler Austin, with fly-rod in hand, could also have given this swift Roguish beast a run for his money...;)

I've often thought of Austin when wetting a line this summer, and hope things are still going well for him...

Best, CSL

http://www.webpak.net/~cslien/1BullFlyFish3.jpg
http://www.webpak.net/~cslien/1BullFlyFish2.jpg

Tom Kidd
08-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Sure brings back memories of fishing the Monacy Creek in Pa. with my pop after WWII, where a nasty bull lived in the meadow between the farm lane and the stretch of good water. The farmer had a chain around his neck that was attached to a log that just rested on the ground. That sucker ran pop and I out of the meadow lots of times while the log was tripping him up and beating the crap out of his front legs. I remember thinking that the bull at home bent up a 2" pipe enclosure pretty bad one time and just how much good the barbed wire fence would do if the log dragger decided to come for us. Never did though. Thanks for bringing back a great, although a bit emotional, memory of my dad and I fishing.

John Dunkle
08-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Bump - let me move this into the Foto Fridays forums (at CSL's request)...

Best to all - and I really like that sign, CSL..!!! Almost makes me want to try to outrace a bull.....

Not!!!!

:eek:

John

Austin W Hogan
08-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the good word, Chris. We don't have many pasture streams near here. Most streams in northern NH flow over hard rock, with more hard rock(s) forming steep banks. Those steep banks, and the climbs to and from the stream, have kept me out of the water this year, but I hope to be back next spring.

Best, Austin

charlie cleveland
08-18-2011, 10:06 PM
beautiful water it would be worth risking a run from the bull to fish that water.... charlie