PDA

View Full Version : New member and an ejector question...

edwilliams
08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Greetings. I've been an occasional lurker, and finally joined up this month. I've been trying to decide what to do with a 12 ga. CHE that I bought at an auction in the early 90's. It was a grouse and shooting club gun for me until the beavertail forend cracked while a friend was shooting it a decade ago. I had purchased a splinter ejector forend to replace it, but the inletting didn't match well. I am torn between a repair to the forend and a replacement with new wood. The BTFE is in two pieces already. Here comes the question...

While I had the forend removed from the gun for inspection, either I or a friend accidentally pulled one of the triggers, which now prevents the action from being opened. :banghead:

The left-hand ejector pin(?) is protruding from the action, sice the forend was absent at the time. Is there a trick to resetting that ejector pin, or can I gently tap it back into the receiver with a woooden or plastic mallet? If photos would help I can send them along. I wonder if I require a certain number of posts before I can attach photos?

This is a 12 ga. English stock gun, with skeleton buttplate. Barrels are improved and modified. Help me get this back together in time for bird season! :) Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'm in Fredericksburg, Va. if that helps. This is an awesome site...should have joined years ago.

Dean Romig
08-09-2011, 04:53 PM
The hammers need to be cocked and you may be able to accomplish the task without the forend in place but it may not be easy. Opening the gun with the forend in place is how it is normally done so somehow you need to hold the barrels tight to the hinge pin as you do it without the forend. The cocking hook in the barrel lug engages the cocking crank in the slot between the water tables.

Bob Jurewicz
08-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Am I wrong but I thought the ejector pins in the front of the receiver retract after firing. I don't believe they would prevent opening action for barrel removal. If the barrels do not remove I would think it is the cocking slide and hook not releasing. For this dropping both hammers is often a cure.
Bob Jurewicz

Dean Romig
08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Right Bob, I misread the problem "which now prevents the action from being opened."